NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > South East Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

South East Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2018, 07:12
Member Number 257

Re: Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Went to Aiken with the wfe, both boys and one of their friends. Two girlfriends accompanied us. Had a good time. Did some fishing during the day and some back to school shopping too at night. This weekend looks like a jeep work weekend. If I get it done I'll go to the work day at URE the next time they have one.
Old August 9th, 2018, 10:54
Three-De Off-Road

What did Deanna say about you bringing your 2 girlfriends. Aren't you supposed to keep them hidden from her?
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176--National Vice President, SEC President
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2006 XK (TOW RIG)
Old August 9th, 2018, 11:06
Member Number 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
What did Deanna say about you bringing your 2 girlfriends. Aren't you supposed to keep them hidden from her?
Dirk's got jokes.... Yea so that was Glenn's GF and his friends GF. Fix your jeep yet?
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:02
Three-De Off-Road

I haven't "fixed" it yet.

I did pull out the windshield and hi-lift the roof back up so I can sit in it. I pulled it out of storage and vacuumed it out so I can be in and around it without glass slivers all over. I pulled the front fascia off so that I could assess the damage and pulled the passenger side front quarter and used a BFH to persuade the mounting channel out far enough to reinstall it so that the hood would close.

Still think I'll be best starting over from scratch and stripping this one to resell the suspension and lift parts. Toying with the idea of starting over with a ZJ. Only drawback to that is I can't reuse my axles which are re-geared and locked.

Otherwise - still sitting there racking up storage fees.
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:33
Member Number 257

Quote:
I haven't "fixed" it yet.

I did pull out the windshield and hi-lift the roof back up so I can sit in it. I pulled it out of storage and vacuumed it out so I can be in and around it without glass slivers all over. I pulled the front fascia off so that I could assess the damage and pulled the passenger side front quarter and used a BFH to persuade the mounting channel out far enough to reinstall it so that the hood would close.

Still think I'll be best starting over from scratch and stripping this one to resell the suspension and lift parts. Toying with the idea of starting over with a ZJ. Only drawback to that is I can't reuse my axles which are re-geared and locked.

Otherwise - still sitting there racking up storage fees.
I think you have two options. Strip your parts and put them on another xj or start over and part out what you have.
If you want to go to a zj would it be a 5.9? 5.2? or 4.0?
Your front would work there by the way......
Old August 10th, 2018, 08:19
Three-De Off-Road

If I went with a ZJ I'd probably just look for a 4.0.

Yeah, lost out on a Craiglist Cherokee that needed a new rear axle last week. Didn't realize that the 1997-2001 Cherokees were all painted with 24 karat gold dust - according to the pricing.

Saw one on Craigslist today with 135xxx miles, and some upgrades - asking over $15,000. Rediculous --- https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto...652288954.html
Old August 10th, 2018, 08:23
Member Number 257

Quote:

Yeah, lost out on a Craiglist Cherokee that needed a new rear axle last week. Didn't realize that the 1997-2001 Cherokees were all painted with 24 karat gold dust - according to the pricing.

Saw one on Craigslist today with 135xxx miles, and some upgrades - asking over $15,000. Rediculous --- https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto...652288954.html
Yes XJ's have shot up again for some reason.
Old August 14th, 2018, 08:24
NAXJA Member

You'll find one Dirk. Cheap ones are out there. They just may not be in the shape our Annie's were.

Anywho... I got mine out of the garage. It's a little tall in the rear. I'll look at leveling when I get it to the new house.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old August 14th, 2018, 10:18
Member Number 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco01xj View Post
You'll find one Dirk. Cheap ones are out there. They just may not be in the shape our Annie's were.

Anywho... I got mine out of the garage. It's a little tall in the rear. I'll look at leveling when I get it to the new house.

[IMG][/IMG]
What year is that? Looks a lot like the green one I had. Loved that color.
Old August 14th, 2018, 14:53
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
What year is that? Looks a lot like the green one I had. Loved that color.
It is a 1997. My plan is to somewhat restore it instead of building a trail beater. I was debating on a new paint color but will stick with the Forrest green.
Old August 15th, 2018, 05:23
Member# 2368

Quote:

I told you I have a straight Silver shell. It can be yours for scrap price. You'd have to swap everything from yours to it.
Old August 15th, 2018, 06:17
Three-De Off-Road

Yeah, I know and I'm considering it Andy. I'd probably have to make a trip to SC over a 3 day weekend - like MLK Day or something - and do a Wrenchfest at your place or Glenn's and have a bunch of hands help with the swap. I can't put a shell in the parking lot of my apartment complex and I can't do any mechanical work here either. When you say "everything" you talking needing to swap the engine, transmission, interior, dash, steering the whole 9 yards?

Weighing the timing and cost of getting to SC and buying a shell versus buying something local.

I do appreciate that, though and may eventually take you up on that.
Old August 15th, 2018, 09:41
Member# 2368

Quote:
Yeah, I know and I'm considering it Andy. I'd probably have to make a trip to SC over a 3 day weekend - like MLK Day or something - and do a Wrenchfest at your place or Glenn's and have a bunch of hands help with the swap. I can't put a shell in the parking lot of my apartment complex and I can't do any mechanical work here either. When you say "everything" you talking needing to swap the engine, transmission, interior, dash, steering the whole 9 yards?

Weighing the timing and cost of getting to SC and buying a shell versus buying something local.

I do appreciate that, though and may eventually take you up on that.
Everything. It's a stripped down shell that I've sold MOST everything off of. Has 3 doors on it, no hatch, no axles, no drivetrain, etc. BUT the roof is still where it belongs.