NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 20th, 2010, 14:20
Dead man walking

Re: Barbed fittings for transmission cooler lines?

Update time, got my fittings and some hose barbs, I'll update with pics when they go in over the next couple of days. Here are part numbers and prices of what I picked up.

These prices are all quantities of two:
9919DFH -6 10 14mm adapter $17.18
3-906-V90 -6 viton o-rings $2.00
709167 90 degree -6 to 3/8ths hose barb $33.98

Total out the door with tax was $58.34 not too bad. The hose barbs also include the covers for the ends of the hose if you are running stainless steel braided hose, which I am not.. but its nice to see them included. Pics coming soon!
Old October 20th, 2010, 21:34
Dead man walking

Ok, just got done putting the fittings on

The fittings (with part numbers :smile

These are the old lines.... a pain in the butt to replace if you happen to puncture a line or pinch one off. even worse if one gets yanked and breaks the plastic retainer, you would be completely stranded.

as you can see this one was pulled far to the side, i gave it a little tug and the plastic piece snapped and it dumped fluid everywhere. Glad I decided to replace them.

Out with the old...

and in with the new.

Old October 21st, 2010, 07:26
NAXJA Forum User

Just clarifying, with the 90 fittings, if it is stated to be for -6 AN hose, than it can either be used with the -6 AN hose, or just high pressure 3/8 hose?

Also, is there to be any concern with the hose by the exhaust?

Being in both high heat and freezing temps here in Jersey, if I bypass the trans lines in rad will the trans not get up to temp during the winter months? Or will I just have to let the truck warm up a bit when its cold out?

One more question, whats the easiest way to install a temp gauge tap in if using rubber or AN hose the whole length?

Thanks.

Last edited by 97babyXJ; October 21st, 2010 at 07:41. Reason: additional inquiry
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:21
Dead man walking

Lots of questions, lol. Lets see if I can answer them all...

Just clarifying, with the 90 fittings, if it is stated to be for -6 AN hose, than it can either be used with the -6 AN hose, or just high pressure 3/8 hose?
I'm using high pressure oil resistant power steering/transmission cooler hose. With the -6 barbed fitting you can use any hose with a 3/8ths ID. The guy at Earls told me you don't need to run a clamp with these fittings but I'm throwing one on there anyway.

Also, is there to be any concern with the hose by the exhaust?
It's actually further away now because I have the 90 fittings angled up and to the rear, before they went straight forward and over the exhaust on their way to the radiator.

Being in both high heat and freezing temps here in Jersey, if I bypass the trans lines in rad will the trans not get up to temp during the winter months? Or will I just have to let the truck warm up a bit when its cold out?
I don't see it being a problem, the fluid heats up from friction inside the transmission itself. I do not know the answer to that question though, sorry.

One more question, whats the easiest way to install a temp gauge tap in if using rubber or AN hose the whole length?
I am not using rubber hose the entire length back to the cooler. I'm using short rubber hoses from the fittings to the body, then running hard lines down the transmission tunnel towards the rear seat, in through the floor under the rear seat on the passenger side of the tunnel, and along the floor back towards the cooler. then up the D pillar to another set of short rubber hoses going into the trans cooler. I am putting the sending unit for the gauge into a 1/4" pipe T with two 3/8ths hose barbs on it, and the sender into a 1/8th pipe to 1/4 pipe adapter, then into the T. The gauge sender needs to be grounded, so I soldered a wire to the side of the T and put a ring terminal on the other end, so I could ground the T to the body. I'm going to put the T inline back by the cooler, on the inlet so I get the temp right before it goes in.

Thanks.

You're welcome hope this helped a little.. I'll update again once i get the hard lines bent up and installed, hopefully it will be later today.

Last edited by GrimmJeeper; October 21st, 2010 at 08:25.
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:48
NAXJA Forum User

awesome, thanks so much.

Just one more, how are you going from the 3/8 hose, to the hardline? i assume your using 3/8 line as well?

thanks again
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:56
Dead man walking

yes 3/8s steel hard line. I'm flaring the ends and double clamping the hose onto the line.
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:20
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmJeeper View Post

These prices are all quantities of two:
9919DFH -6 10 14mm adapter $17.18
3-906-V90 -6 viton o-rings $2.00
709167 90 degree -6 to 3/8ths hose barb $33.98

Total out the door with tax was $58.34 not too bad.
where did you order from?
if you order the an hose (not steel) what is the cost per foot on that?
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:23
Dead man walking

I went to the Earl's retail store, the original store is ~5 miles from my house, I couldn't tell you how much the hose is.

Summit Racing sells Earl's fittings and the hose as well.
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:33
NAXJA Forum User

the #'s don't cross reference on summit.
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:00
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_chef View Post
the #'s don't cross reference on summit.
Really?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-709167ERL/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-9919DFHERL/
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:07
NAXJA Forum User

thanks i couldn't find it for some reason.
Old October 21st, 2010, 14:09
NAXJA Forum User

The temp gauge is simple, add a t fitting at the transmission.
Old October 21st, 2010, 14:14
Still Flailing

Nice mike! I have some leftover firesleeve for the lines by the exhaust if you can use it. ATF is pretty flammable, I seem to remember that most of the trucks that have burnt to the ground in the dez are from atf leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
this thread makes me all kinds of happy. Gonna have to get those fittings next time I work on the tranny lines... I hate quickdisconnects with a passion.

If you can find a 9/16-17 threaded pipe fitting anywhere, it is really really damn close to m14x1.5. Note that I don't think such a thing exists, I just ran the calculations to convert to SAE
Do not use tapered pipe threads for this, the case is cast aluminum and will crack.
Old October 21st, 2010, 15:03
Dead man walking

Thanks for the offer chris! I'l shoot you a pm when I get back home.
Old October 21st, 2010, 15:26
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmJeeper View Post
Lots of questions, lol. Lets see if I can answer them all...

I'm using high pressure oil resistant power steering/transmission cooler hose. With the -6 barbed fitting you can use any hose with a 3/8ths ID. The guy at Earls told me you don't need to run a clamp with these fittings but I'm throwing one on there anyway.
Yeah, I've heard that about those fittings too - not needing a hose clamp. Never been brave enough to run without the clamp though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullver View Post
Nice mike! I have some leftover firesleeve for the lines by the exhaust if you can use it. ATF is pretty flammable, I seem to remember that most of the trucks that have burnt to the ground in the dez are from atf leaks.
Do not use tapered pipe threads for this, the case is cast aluminum and will crack.
We can attest to the ATF being flammable. And it doesn't take much to set it off. And the big pool on the ground under the car will be burning too.
99XJ-4.0/AW4/242 87GrandWag-6.5 turbodiesel

Last edited by DieselSJ; October 21st, 2010 at 15:27. Reason: Speling erorrs