NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old March 20th, 2016, 21:55
NAXJA Member #1145

Re: Barbed fittings for transmission cooler lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin83 View Post
Bumping this thread for feedback from the guys that have done this mod. Especially with AN fittings. Y'all got any pics of your setups?
This sort of thing (adaption to AN/JIC fittings and heavy duty hose) is the first thing I do at the first sign of any trouble with my vehicles' fluid power systems (power steering, hydroboost, trans cooler, etc).

Couple notes:
-I use field-rebuildable ends and heavy duty hose (literally what you'd use for forklifts- MASSIVE overkill)

-I use JIC fittings.. They're identical to AN fittings, except are made of steel. I use yellow zinc plated fittings if available, as yellow zinc is more corrosion-resistant than clear or silver zinc coatings. JIC fittings will take the same or more pressure than AN, seal just as well if not better, and can take more ham-handed assembly (ie, too much assembly torque) than AN.

AN are great- if you're building an aircraft, or a tank. This is a truck, we're not using too many of them and can stand a couple 10 pounds or so difference in weight for the superior durability and ease of use.

I agree hardline can be superior, but all I know is this- I burned up three transmissions due to stress fractures in hardlines. I went to the HD hydraulic hose and I've not had a single problem since.

Great source for fittings is discounthydraulichoses.com

I'm about to address this issue on the wife's ZJ, as I just noticed today there's some weeping around the discos. HATE those things, been meaning to get rid of them for years.

While you're at this, work in a magnefilter inline filter, if not a fullflow and bypass filter on the return line. They should be the last items on the line before return to the trans, BTW- especially if you've ever had a trans problem.

Put the temp sensor in the pan. You want to monitor the temperature of the TRANSMISSION, not the lines. It's better to monitor the temp of the fluid in the pan as it gives you a better idea of the state the transmission is being subject to.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old January 16th, 2018, 20:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmJeeper View Post
I'm looking to put barbed fittings into the transmission so I can run hose directly off of the trans without using the quick disconnects, anyone know of a part number? I've been searching for the last hour and all I can find is threads on cutting the stock lines with a tube cutter and attaching the hose there. That is NOT what I want to do. I want to replace the fittings in the transmission.
There's a new item out, Parker 68H8-6-M114 Port Adapter, that will screw into the trans ports and has a barb type connector on the end.

This is an old post, but I'm hoping this info will help someone in the future...
Old January 16th, 2018, 21:09
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin'OnEmpty View Post
There's a new item out, Parker 68H8-6-M114 Port Adapter, that will screw into the trans ports and has a barb type connector on the end.

This is an old post, but I'm hoping this info will help someone in the future...
Thank you, it will... Me!
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
Old January 17th, 2018, 20:37
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin'OnEmpty View Post
I want one but the listed part number doesn't show up when Goggled.
Do you have a link to a supplier?
01 Sport, 4.6L Russ Pottenger. stroker, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, Towing baseplate
Old January 18th, 2018, 08:42
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
I want one but the listed part number doesn't show up when Goggled.
Do you have a link to a supplier?
Yes it does:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.s1oebXGd8D8
Old January 18th, 2018, 20:18
NAXJA Forum User

I don't know why Google only shows a couple results. Bing will show up several. You can get this part at just about any hydraulic parts store. The packaging on mine lists it as being "New Item", so it's probably a recently developed product.

Mine came from Amazon using the part number 68H8-6-M114.
Old April 9th, 2018, 10:02
NAXJA Forum User

So looking at that thing I can put two of those in the transmission and run hoses off of that? Are you worried about the pressure popping those off?

Does anyone know what the threads are on the stock cooler in the radiator, so I can find a fitting that will screw into there and then I could just run some hoses from the trans to the radiator?
Old April 9th, 2018, 11:48
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Enthusiast View Post
So looking at that thing I can put two of those in the transmission and run hoses off of that? Are you worried about the pressure popping those off?

Does anyone know what the threads are on the stock cooler in the radiator, so I can find a fitting that will screw into there and then I could just run some hoses from the trans to the radiator?
Yes, there's only about 50PSI in the external cooling circuit lines, if that.

As for the threads on the radiator- any parts store will have that in the specs for the radiator. What year are you dealing with?
Old April 9th, 2018, 12:39
NAXJA Forum User

I used 3/8 brass barbed fittings on my tranny cooler line I did double clamp each end though no idea on thread sizes
Old April 9th, 2018, 19:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
Yes, there's only about 50PSI in the external cooling circuit lines, if that.

As for the threads on the radiator- any parts store will have that in the specs for the radiator. What year are you dealing with?