• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 transfer case questions

tacottle

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ Sport with Select Trac. A few weeks ago, it developed a squeaking/whirring noise while in motion. I took it to the dealer and they ended up dismantling the tranfer case (warranty) and replacing some number of bearings and other parts.

Upon its return, I now hear a whirring from the transfer case even when it is in 2WD which I didn't hear before. It is not very loud, just that after 30,000 miles you get to know what noises are there and a new one is noticed. Is this whirring normal? When an NP242 is in 2WD what parts are still moving? I know my '90 with Command Trac and vacuum disconnects on the front axle basically freewheels the front axle and not much in the front propeller shaft/T-case is in motion, but I don't know about the NP242 setup on a 2001.

Tim C.
90 XJ
01 XJ

Well Tim, since the 242 is basically a full-time TCASE with 2wd :looney: your front driveline is always rotating. The front axle does not disconnect like the 231 case axle does. I had a 89' with a 242 and at 170k I had never heard a continuous noise in 2WD. I did hear a whirring noise once I removed my carpet and bedlined it though. Mine may have been noticable if it were not for the M/Ts. do you have street tires of stock sizing? If so, something may not be right.

MATT

Back