• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I don't know whats wrong....

TheSos

NAXJA Forum User
First off my XJ has 6" Rusty's lift and 33s (maybe that has something to do with it)

My XJ needed new rotors cause they were warped pretty bad. The other day was driving and went into a left hand turn while braking and got this terrible wobble which only seems to be present on left turns. Yesterday I replaced my rotors and pads and got my parking brake unstuck. When I went for my test ride i got about a mile from the house and experienced the same wobble so I went back home. When I got there and parked the Jeep I noticed some smoke coming from the front right tire then I went to the left side and saw the same smoke. It was very light but there and seemed to come from the wheels. I sprayed everything with brake cleaner while I was installing the new stuff. Could my calpiers be grabbing too much and causing the wobble some how? I am at a loss. Thanks for any info you got!!

I've had brand new rotors be warped right off the shelf, so that is a possibility. I would replace your calipers, I had some smokey brakes from a frozen caliper.

Also, are you sure the shaking is coming from the front end? Make sure all your CAs, track bar, and tie rod bolts are tight.

wobble could be from your front hub bearings too. when you have the tire off the ground hold it at the top and rock it in and out. if it moves, it's either your ball joints, or your hub bearing assembly.

but I'll agree, the smoke makes it seem like a brake issue. You must lube up all moving parts on the caliper with either napa brand sil-glyde (brake lube) or just white lithium grease.

new rotors comes with a glue like substance on them> its not fun to get off usually takes soap water and scrubbing. i would disassembel the brakes again and lube the sliders (on the calipers) lube all contact points (pad to caliper, caliper bolts, pad to caliper bracket) if any of those spots stick it will cause a squeek or a pad to not travel properly.

its possible the rotors were warped off the shelf...

I just wonder why I have changed many rotors over the years without cleaning off the oil or whatever and never had a problem till now. I don't think that could be it.

When I had the front jacked up i shaked the front tires from top to bottom and didn't feel anything abnormal.

Tomorrow i will check the tie rod and control arms and see if they are tight.

Flush out your front brake lines and get some fresh fluid in there. It sounds like you have a brake drag issue. That can be caused by dirty fluid that has moisture in it.

You say it wobbles, but did not say that it was braking induced. If it started wobbling in the turn without braking, the wobble is not from your rotors. Lay inderneath while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth while you look for free play indicating worn out tie rod ends, pitman arm, steering box, etc.

The wobble on turning could be mant things, cupped tread on a tire,or uneven tire wear, but I found that my 93 XJ needed a new stabilizer shock, it would all but rip the steering wheel out of my hand, the higher the speed the worse it pulled.

i vote for front-end issues, i.e. track bar, tie-rod, bearings, ball-joints, etc. you stated that it did it before you did the brakes, and it sounds like a classic case of death wobble to me. just because it did it after you did the brakes also doesn't mean that the brakes are the problem. the other guys are right about the coating on rotors, it's on the outer surface, and most likely some on the inner surface, seems like it'd need a little time to burn off. i'd take it for a ride, bring it home and jack it up, and see if there's excessive resistance while rolling the front tires. otherwise i'd check for frontend problems. hope that helps!

Thanks for all the replies. Tomorrow if its not raining I will go and check out everything. I do remember the brake fluid looked a little dirty when I bought the Heep.

if its smoking at the wheel it could be your brake caliper locking up !!?? i had same problem i had the front end shake to. first it was the right side then a few months later it was the left !! cheap easy fix !!

Back