• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Info and Advice

I have a '99 XJ and the ac pulley bearing, clutch plate and magnet are all totally fried. The bearing got so hot it destroyed the bearing seal and the magnet seal exposing all of the guts. The clutch surfaces on the pulley and the clutch plate are done as well. My issue is that I can't find a replacement pulley with the clutch plate. There are compressor clutch kits with every part except the pulley which I also need due to the friction plate destruction. There are complete kits for 2 models of the OEM compressors but not for mine (4722). Does anyone have a line on somewhere that either sells a kit for my version or at least the pulley? The compressor is working fine so I don't NEED to replace it but that seems like the only way to get all of the components right now. Any leads are appreciated.

What about getting a junkyard compressor and stripping the pulley off it?

I've considered it but 2 problems. 1: There aren't many junkyards within 100mi with XJs left in them. 2: There's a pretty good chance that any pulleys I do find will have a pretty worn out clutch surface no better than my old one. Of course problem 1 makes proving problem 2 difficult.

I doubt that compressor design is unique to XJs.

I might as well jump into this thread with a question - How often does the compressor cycle during normal operation on a 2000 XJ? My compressor exhibits a consistent behavior where the compressor cycles on for ~5 seconds and then cycles off for ~5 seconds. I had the system recharged about a year ago, and its always had this behavior and consistently blows cold air.

I've considered it but 2 problems. 1: There aren't many junkyards within 100mi with XJs left in them. 2: There's a pretty good chance that any pulleys I do find will have a pretty worn out clutch surface no better than my old one. Of course problem 1 makes proving problem 2 difficult.

San Jose and Richmond junkyards routinely have one - three on the yard. Every time I remember to search I go and pull everything useful - sets of screws and fasteners mostly, OEM switches and gauge cluster.

I might as well jump into this thread with a question - How often does the compressor cycle during normal operation on a 2000 XJ? My compressor exhibits a consistent behavior where the compressor cycles on for ~5 seconds and then cycles off for ~5 seconds. I had the system recharged about a year ago, and its always had this behavior and consistently blows cold air.

My understanding is this is normal behavior. If the compressor stays on all the time that the AC is on is a problem, normal behavior is for it to cycle on and off.

My understanding is this is normal behavior. If the compressor stays on all the time that the AC is on is a problem, normal behavior is for it to cycle on and off.

Thanks. I ended up timing the cycles, and it runs for 8-9 seconds, and then is off for 1-2 seconds. This gives 6 cycles per minute which is within the specification in the service manual of no more than 10 cycles per minute.

My experience if anyone else comes here.
NO functional AC, low refreigerant, found Schrader valves (service valves) are leaking.
Recharged and system would still not fire up.
Checked single wire to compressor, 12v switches on when ac is turned on, computer and switch work yay!
Looked up vid on removing compressor clutch and cleaned the rust from the clutch. Removed shim.
AC WORKS double yay!

Back