• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

30 spartan locker engaging with driveshaft in and 2wd.

I could see maybe joints being a problem but shafts are just along for the ride unless bent. But all this stuff is rules out with everything new and upgraded with a few thousand miles on them. Locker is the only new thing to the mix.

It was something i did think about. I even went for a drive with 0 caster (pinion closer to inline with the driveshaft) and it didnt change that problem. Controlling the Jeep was a hand full but thats going to happen. The angles are not bad. And it didnt get worse after i clocked the Tcase up more.

You're at zero castor with a dana 30 for good driveshaft angle?

What specs are your suspension and tcase?

Everything looked great under the cover So with the advice of a few people i ran 85-140 oil. Think i had 75-90 before. And i even over filled it a little due to the fill plug looking a little low on the Ruff stuff covers. Still no change. Turning in a parking lot or into a driveway and the front starts to buck like it really wants to lock up. And its not the clicking that a auto locker is known for. This is full on locked unlock hard bucking.

Everything looked great under the cover So with the advice of a few people i ran 85-140 oil. Think i had 75-90 before. And i even over filled it a little due to the fill plug looking a little low on the Ruff stuff covers. Still no change. Turning in a parking lot or into a driveway and the front starts to buck like it really wants to lock up. And its not the clicking that a auto locker is known for. This is full on locked unlock hard bucking.

my lock rite does this and im done messing with it cause its destroying the ears on my axle shafts to the point of caps being able to fall out once clips are removed so im just pulling the locker and down the road going a different route

My Spartan 30 pops and bangs when making tight turns in 2wd. I believe it was manufactured during one of the first runs. When putting it together I noticed the spring loaded pins would not freely slide in and out of the cam gears. That being said. It has never failed me offroad and has always provided excellent traction. I would order one again.

Lots of people say its just how that locker is. Not a fan and its coming out and im going to go with the one i wanted in the first place now that the things are in stock. Aussie.

Lots of people say its just how that locker is. Not a fan and its coming out and im going to go with the one i wanted in the first place now that the things are in stock. Aussie.

Aussie is going to do the same thing. I think its just the nature of lunch lockers.

New axle u joints helped me on turns but it still pops, bangs and jerks the front end around on sharp turns

Its not the nature of them. I have been running lock right and aussie for close to 20 yrs now. I know the normal clanks and bangs from them. When one delays to unlock when not under power to the point of no steering on the road then its a problem. Its even doing it without the driveshaft in. After talking with tech support about it i was put on hold for 15min and told someone would get back to me. No one ever did. This was after i had to have a vender call his rep to call me because i couldnt get a hold of anyone when i called them. It was the first time trying a spartan and it will be the last.

Its not the nature of them. I have been running lock right and aussie for close to 20 yrs now. I know the normal clanks and bangs from them. When one delays to unlock when not under power to the point of no steering on the road then its a problem. Its even doing it without the driveshaft in. After talking with tech support about it i was put on hold for 15min and told someone would get back to me. No one ever did. This was after i had to have a vender call his rep to call me because i couldnt get a hold of anyone when i called them. It was the first time trying a spartan and it will be the last.

You talk like this surprises you ??

Power/driving force does not have to come from the driveshaft for the locker to lock......

Spartan, Aussie, Lockright, Powertrax, even Detroits, they are all made the same basic way, and can all do the same thing.

Its because people fail to understand that whats going on is not the normal click bangs pops of a auto lunch box locker. Something i have stated many times. But people seem to skim over and just say "its normal" I fully understand how an auto locker works and this units behavior is unlike any other unit i have owned or seen. It has A. to much spring force or B. a defect that is to subtle to see just by looking at it. Its not like the carrier or pinion has to much resistance to engage the locker when driving. Its been check tree times now.

Update: Found out the other day a local friend has the same locker and its just as clunky in his rig. So maybe it really is how THIS locker is.

I pulled it and installed what i wish was in stock the first time a Aussie locker.
All is %100 well and now its very close to being unnoticeable when in 2 wheel. Other than the clicks i can hear now and then if the radios not on or im not on the gas to much.

:thumbup:

Its nice to have it back on the road/trail so i can enjoy it before the snow comes.

Back