• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering major leak after grinding noise

tcc9mpl

NAXJA Forum User
There seems to be something wrong with my power steering pump.

It started yesterday when I started to hear a weird grinding noise, almost like metal against metal noise. and it got faster as i drove. i pulled over, opened the hood, and didnt see anything obviously wrong. I started it up and there came the grinding, i felt the power steering reservoir and it was extremely vibrating. I was just thinking something must be loose and then the noise became not as loud so i drove away. Today on my way home from work it started grinding again, much louder this time though. As soon as i got home i opened my hood and found liquid sprayed all over the place. I turned the jeep back on for a few seconds, turned the wheel, then turned it back off. Then i noticed fluid leaking profusely from the area of the power steering pump in red below. It is on the underside of the pump, the leak is not coming from the pipes leading to or from.

What could be the issue here and what was that loud grinding and vibrating from? It wasn't the steering wheel whine, it was a distinct constant grinding.

photo062mediumaol2.jpg

photo063mediumaee1.jpg

Back