• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hello from Littleton, CO New User.. Long time lurker.

DigJeepsBrah

NAXJA Forum User
20130109_142834.jpg

There's my ride, bought it off of craigslist in July and got a pretty smokin' deal on it for what all was equipped. I believe it's a RC 4" with a 1" t-case drop. 1998 Sport, Yakima? roof rack. Not sure but I think it is. Rock sliders, 32x11.50's K&N Cold Air inake, cat-back exhaust, free flow cat, interior is extremely clean, blah blah.

Have plans to bullet proof the front end components, tie rod ends, drag link, drop pitman arm, already did new shoes, pads, rotors, hubs up front, rear axle seals, pinion seals, diff services, ect.. typical new-buy stuff.

after making sure the front end is all solid it's under armor, bumpers, lockers, then sye's(ditch the t-case drop).. Then much later in it's life I'll figure out axles and a little bit more lift.

I'm sure everyone has a list like this... Anyway...

Did some 4 wheeling in empire last weekend, been up to vail to go to lost lake, play in the field by the house to scare the kids from time to time...

Super passionate about jeeps, hoping to learn of swap meets, trail runs, good folks..

That's my introduction. My name is Dustin. I'll be around. Swell to meet you all.

Welcome. Remember, the new guy has to buy the beer.

Welcome. Remember, the new guy has to buy the beer.

I hope ya'll aren't beer snobs like me.. When I go cheap it's PBR or Extra Gold.

I'm one of those Colorado micro brew guys... However; I do some home brew with my old man. No liquor license so I can't sell it.. Always making too much... Huh, I guess I'll figure something out. :lickout:

Would also like to say my contact information is in the Emergency/Recovery sticky thread. Feel free to contact me for some wheeling too. I'll never see enough of this state. Always free on the weekends willing to travel 50-100 miles for a good day/weekend typically. Snowshoes, extensive camping gear, mountain bikes, mountain boards, dirt bikes, wife, 7 year old daughter every other week, dogs.. The typical Jeep guy. Always down for an adventure.:farmer:

I hope ya'll aren't beer snobs like me.. When I go cheap it's PBR or Extra Gold.

I'm one of those Colorado micro brew guys... However; I do some home brew with my old man. No liquor license so I can't sell it.. Always making too much... Huh, I guess I'll figure something out. :lickout:

Would also like to say my contact information is in the Emergency/Recovery sticky thread. Feel free to contact me for some wheeling too. I'll never see enough of this state. Always free on the weekends willing to travel 50-100 miles for a good day/weekend typically. Snowshoes, extensive camping gear, mountain bikes, mountain boards, dirt bikes, wife, 7 year old daughter every other week, dogs.. The typical Jeep guy. Always down for an adventure.:farmer:

No need to sell it! We can drink it together as buddies!! hahah. Welcome to the board man, I'm also quite the beer snob. :cheers: Enjoy the board, there are a lot of good people here.

Oh yeah, Pabst Blue Ribbon, me cheap beer of choice. I'm a CO Micro-brew snob as well.

Nice looking XJ and welcom e to the boards. Don't be too eager to ditch the stock axles unless the rear is a Dana 35. Dana 30 and 8.25 hold up just fine to 35's, I'm running 35's with a 4.5" short arm kit and loving it. A couple of other on here doing the same or lower.

Welcome aboard Dustin!

Thanks!

No need to sell it! We can drink it together as buddies!! hahah. Welcome to the board man, I'm also quite the beer snob. :cheers: Enjoy the board, there are a lot of good people here.

:cheers: Seems like it! Thanks! You've just locked yourself into what is typically known in the scientific community as the guinea pig position. :doh:

Oh yeah, Pabst Blue Ribbon, me cheap beer of choice. I'm a CO Micro-brew snob as well.

Nice looking XJ and welcom e to the boards. Don't be too eager to ditch the stock axles unless the rear is a Dana 35. Dana 30 and 8.25 hold up just fine to 35's, I'm running 35's with a 4.5" short arm kit and loving it. A couple of other on here doing the same or lower.

I'm beginning to see a pattern emerging here. I like it. Alas, it is the 35 cause it's a 98. No 8.25 for me :( pre 92 for a 8.25 on an xj right? and the ZJ's run a 35 too? or a 44? 44 with disc on the limited? idk, I definitely need to replace that axle before I get too crazy putting money into the diff or anything for gears and a locker...

Welcome aboard!

Thanks!

:peace:

Alas, it is the 35 cause it's a 98. No 8.25 for me :( pre 92 for a 8.25 on an xj right? and the ZJ's run a 35 too? or a 44? 44 with disc on the limited?
It would be a D-35 if your Cherokee came equiped with the Antilock Brake System. Otherwise, you would have the 29-spline, 8.25" axle.

It would be a D-35 if your Cherokee came equiped with the Antilock Brake System. Otherwise, you would have the 29-spline, 8.25" axle.

Very interesting. So any late model cherokee without ABS will have the 8.25? and will be the same width? So this is what I seek. What can I expect to pick one up for? Is there any market for my 35 when I'm done with it?

Very interesting. So any late model cherokee without ABS will have the 8.25? and will be the same width? So this is what I seek. What can I expect to pick one up for? Is there any market for my 35 when I'm done with it?
No, not really. XJ's equipped with a D35 may or may not have ABS.

8.25" equipped XJ's never had ABS.

You can score an 8.25" at they JY for well under $200, complete from hub to hub. Make sure to grab one from a 97+ so you get the larger shafts with 29 splines vs the smaller 27 spline shafts. You'll also need the driveshaft and u-bolt plates. The tubes are larger so a new set of u-bolts should be purchased as well......don't re-use JY u-bolts.

You can list you're old axle on craigslist. You might get $50-$100 for it, but it will take time so be patient.

I sold my D35 on craigslist for $125.00 in less than a week to a guy with a cheerleader jeep.

If you do have ABS you'll lose it with the 8.25, althought thats really not such a bad thing for off road use. You can then keep an eye out for Jeep Liberty's at the JY and rob the disc braks off them. Direct bolt on to the XJ 8.25 axle.

Sure, if someone is needing an anchor for their yacht.

:roflmao:

No, not really. XJ's equipped with a D35 may or may not have ABS.

8.25" equipped XJ's never had ABS.

You can score an 8.25" at they JY for well under $200, complete from hub to hub. Make sure to grab one from a 97+ so you get the larger shafts with 29 splines vs the smaller 27 spline shafts. You'll also need the driveshaft and u-bolt plates. The tubes are larger so a new set of u-bolts should be purchased as well......don't re-use JY u-bolts.

You can list you're old axle on craigslist. You might get $50-$100 for it, but it will take time so be patient.

This is great information, thank you!

I sold my D35 on craigslist for $125.00 in less than a week to a guy with a cheerleader jeep.

You mean a Rubicon JK?

If you do have ABS you'll lose it with the 8.25, althought thats really not such a bad thing for off road use. You can then keep an eye out for Jeep Liberty's at the JY and rob the disc braks off them. Direct bolt on to the XJ 8.25 axle.

I can't say I've ever been a fan of ABS, with I throw an ABS light after the swap then? I had the ABS go out on my hardbody and I ended up preferring it over ABS so I just never fixed it. I know it's been of a bother descending in 4 low in slick conditions.. That was another question I had, do I bother seeking a disc swap for the rear or do I stick with the albeit slightly over sized 8.25 drums? I can't honestly think of benefits or drawbacks other than the ease of brake component replacement.

But I'm all for enlightenment

You mean a Rubicon JK?

I can't say I've ever been a fan of ABS, with I throw an ABS light after the swap then? I had the ABS go out on my hardbody and I ended up preferring it over ABS so I just never fixed it. I know it's been of a bother descending in 4 low in slick conditions.. That was another question I had, do I bother seeking a disc swap for the rear or do I stick with the albeit slightly over sized 8.25 drums? I can't honestly think of benefits or drawbacks other than the ease of brake component replacement.

There are plenty of good brake upgrade forums floating around. Just throw it in the search and soak up some knowledge.

as for the JK comment...... :roflmao: YES, I think you are going to fit in just fine here.

:roflmao:

Sooooooo, does this Jeep have ABS?

Welcome :cool:

Back