• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pre-HO performance exhaust manifold

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

i have done some searching and there has been some mention that in addition to the EGR missing from a 91+ manifold, that the pattern is different because they switched heads in 91. is it true that the pattern is different?

i am looking to replace mine soon, and i want a performance one if they exist, but i would settle for a OEM one, but they rust pretty bad.

any suggestions?

-tim

I put a HO manifold on a Non HO head. Fits fine. All I had to do was have a new down pipe made with a o2 sesor bung in it and fit for the new manifold.

Michael

Performance Headers do exist for Renix (1987 - 1990) 4.0's. Borla and Banks are just two of many manufactures. I have a Borla sitting at home that'll be going in my '89..

A manifold / header from any 4.0 will bolt up to your Renix head, the differences lie in the downpipe, the EGR bung (1991 - 2001 do NOT have an EGR system) and the O2 sensor (or if you really want to get exotic the OEM 2000 - 2001 exhaust manifolds were a dual system!)

Me being concerned with emmissions legalities I will always run a Renix manifold / header on my Renix rig.

I have had no trouble with my Pacesetter, other than their crappy collecter clamp system. Weld a three hole flange on it, and it'll be fine. Stick to a system with an EGR bung.

Clifford also has the bung on it. They don't list as for a Renix though. They also don't supply the down pipe. The hole for the bung needs to be drilled though the colletor pipe.
Tom

I've been running a Borla on my '88 for four years now and love it. The only thing I would do differently would be to have it coated with a ceramic coating to help keep the under-the-hood temps down some. The coating also helps the exhaust scavaging effect (hot gasses moving to the cool areas more readily). Good Luck

Woody

I'll second the ceramic coating. I've had it on a set of headers for a 351W (Jet Coat) and on a set of Pace Setters. The Jet Coat I had done in the probably '94. It has no rust. The Armour coat of the Pace Setters had some rust spots at the edges after 3 years. I replaced the Pace Setters with a Clifford set that has the ceramic black coating.
Tom

I have the painted one. Make sure you run it without the cat or 02 installed for a bit, as the paint inside the header (overspray) can kill a cat or 02.

It's fine, I guess, never really noticed a power improvement from any bolt on junk, only the stroker.

CRASH said:
I have the painted one. Make sure you run it without the cat or 02 installed for a bit, as the paint inside the header (overspray) can kill a cat or 02.

It's fine, I guess, never really noticed a power improvement from any bolt on junk, only the stroker.

thanks for the reply, that is probably what i will go for. it looks like a nice piece. also, i am upgrading my header because i am stroking the 4.0 to 4.6.

-tim

Back