• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake/Exhaust Manifold Gasket - Which Way?

PaulJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know if the intake/exhaust manifold gasket is supposed to go on in a particular way? On one side, the metal reinforcement wraps around the exhaust holes more than it does on the other. It appears it will go on either way around. It seems more logical that the side with the most metal should go against the manifold, but maybe it doesn't really matter.

The destructions, that came with my Fel Pro gasket say " If the gasket is steel faced on one side and fiber on the other, install steel faced side toward the manifold". Both side of the gasket have steel, but one side more than the other, my guess would be the side with the wider ring goes out. OEM gasket say right on the gasket, which side goes out.

It goes on only one way. Installed one way and it will clearly line up; installed the other way and you'll notice it doesn't line up properly with each port. If it's the OEM gasket, which is the only one I recommend, it says on the gasket which side is out/in.

Tom

Back