• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" Lift what do you need?

brake lines are not necessary at 3". unbolt the brackets to give them more room.

Yeah, I think I've decided to keep it to 2". Highway performance is important to me and I've got other bills to pay instead of investing in what it would take for that 1 more inch.

The only OME kit I could find was this: https://www.quadratec.com/products/76090_800.htm. Which looks like more like a 3" kit.

I think I'll do the BDS Suspension 2" lift, they seem to have a good rep. It is an AAL though. Can I buy OEM leaf packs and add a leaf to those to get effectively fresh leaf packs? Should I get Medium or Standard Duty Leafs? I do have a heavy bumper on the back, so maybe I want Standard.

Also, BDS has an optioon for a "Anti-Sway Bar Link Kit" for an additional $85, is that worth it on a 2" lift?

Thanks for the help.

Upcountry Leaf Springs: 1" lift
Shackle Relocation Brackets: 3/4" - 1" lift
OEM Shackles: 0" Lift

or

Standard Leaf springs: 0" lift
Lift Shackles: 1.25"

The rear suspension will ride vastly better than anything that still utilizes the stock shackle mounting location. Either way, the leaf springs can be ordered from any parts store in the country, which is a nice benefit in my opinion. I'm on Upcountry leafs (755# from the below) and it rides amazingly well. For $130 (for the good ones), SRBs are worth every penny.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/oem-hd-leaf-spring-opinions-81004/

Longer sway bar links for the front are available stock on other vehicles, so paying that kind of money for a fixed link kit is a waste IMO. If it were disconnectable links, then it would be of benefit when offroading if you're so inclined to fuss with them before and after doing so.

IMO, you will have to piece together a kit to get the best solution available to you.

Upcountry Leaf Springs: 1" lift
OEM Shackles: 0" Lift

or

Standard Leaf springs: 0" lift
Lift Shackles: 1.25"

The rear suspension will ride vastly better than anything that still utilizes the stock shackle mounting location. Either way, the leaf springs can be ordered from any parts store in the country, which is a nice benefit in my opinion. I'm on Upcountry leafs (755# from the below) and it rides amazingly well. For $130 (for the good ones), SRBs are worth every penny.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/oem-hd-leaf-spring-opinions-81004/

Longer sway bar links for the front are available stock on other vehicles, so paying that kind of money for a fixed link kit is a waste IMO. If it were disconnectable links, then it would be of benefit when offroading if you're so inclined to fuss with them before and after doing so.

IMO, you will have to piece together a kit to get the best solution available to you.

So you think I should just get Shackle Relocation and a 1" Coil spacer to just add 1" to my already 1" Upcountry to get to 2". I was willing to spend the money to just replace the springs, but I like how the shackle relocation kit is adjustable: https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-xj-shackle-relocation-kit-1117.html

Are there any downsides to going down this route? Do I really lose anything with the 1" coil spacer and the shackle relocation? Doesn't seem like I lose much

I prefer the HD Offroad Engineering bolt-on version myself but either style would work. New coils would be better than spacers. You'll need to adjust the pinion angle via tapered shims between the axle and the leafs, same as with any lift shackle. With stock shackles, you will 100% have to remove the remaining holes behind the one you end up using to give the shackle room to move. The other issue will be the exhaust. Both the upper and lower shackle bolts will now be below the bottom of the frame rail. Your tailpipe likely goes through that area now. I just cut my tailpipe short and added a turn down right in front of it all. It technically does not exit beyond the body-line of the vehicle, but it's right at the back of the hatch, so it can be argued if your mechanic is a rule nazi.

Downsides? It's softer than it otherwise would be. Upcountry springs are rated at ~750#. That's 750#/in of displacement in a standard bending test. The actual geometry when installed affect how stiff it actually is. I absolutely require bumpstopping. You may be able to get away without it. Other than that, I'm at a loss to provide you with any other downside to them. It's not a simple bolt-on to install them but the smooth as butter ride is worth every bit of it, especially vs an add-a-leaf bouncing around the corners. My first XJ came with AALs and white bodies. Never again.

You lift choices depend on your wants/needs, future lift plans, and your budget. Other than reducing the total coil spring travel, I find no downside to coil spacers. I have had excellent results with full length Add-A-Leaf, homebrewed bastard spring packs and JKS extended shackles. I have been to Moab several times and have not had any performance or durability issues with any of them. There are some brands of lift kit products and shocks that I would not buy.

I have a bone stock 99 except for 32s and a 3 inch lift and it does fine on the highway and trails. Took it to River Rock not too long ago and other than some minimal tire rub it did quite well till it started raining and I ran outta tread for the mud. As long as your easy on it you should be good on most stock parts for awhile until you can save for more.

Edit: I did do a 1 1/2 t-case drop which helped with some vibrations under full throttle.

Here is another option no one mentioned. Don't do anything and just wheel it as it is. As long as your suspension isn't sagging to much. This will give you time to save up some cash.A lot of cash. Do some research on lifts and then BAM go straight to long arms and 33's. The reason I say this is because it's never enough. A big part of the fun is getting there. Here is my example.
(Me) 3.5 Metalcloak lift with OME springs & Leafs. Boosted the front another 1" and I'm at 4.5". Put on 31" BFG K02 AT to fill the need for bigger tires. Need a SYE and new driveshaft to eliminate the vibes. Should've put a 2Lo kit in when I had it apart (LOL). Then I had to get rock sliders / gas tank skid. As you see there's always more $$$$ needed. Or so I think !
I haven't started spending the real money yet. See I have a Dana 35 and we all know that it's gotta go. Now I have a Dana 44 in the garage just waiting. Did someone mention lockers? Yes selectable lockers we need those. Don't kid yourself you'll want to regear even with only 31". WAIT A MINUTE should I jump to 33's ??????? and gear for those?
The sickness is real and the advice from the members is true. They've had the sickness for a long time. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Pre 1996 are more tolerant of increased drive line angle due to suspension lift kits.

Any idea why the difference? I once had a 93 with 5" of lift, stock driveline and no vibration issues. My son and I are now building a 99 with a 3" lift and it vibrates pretty bad @ 35mph.

Had a 3/4 inch t-case drop at first and it was really bad. Took it out and it's better. The leaves have shims too so I'm not sure where to go next. Lose the shims? more T-case drop?

It's odd for sure because the rear end on both jeeps is the same. Not ready for the SYE just yet. It's his Jeep... he's 14... and he has to save up.

The difference is a change in the rear output tail-cone support becoming shorter thus less bearing support. The only other option would be to try a H-n-T.

The pre-96 tcases had the rear driveshaft slip-yoke inside the tailcone, giving it more support. This made it more lift-tolerant.

The 97+ (and some 96 units) had the slip-yoke outside the tailcone, making them more prone to vibrations. Some 97+ XJs even needed tcase drops/SYEs at stock height.

The difference is a change in the rear output tail-cone support becoming shorter thus less bearing support. The only other option would be to try a H-n-T.
I'm sure I've heard this before but is not clicking.
What is H-n-T?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Just purchased a set of arb/ome rear leaf packs cso33ra any recommendations on springs for the front a buddy gave Me a set he had laying around they measure 22 inches unloaded not sure what the lift on them will be would like to match the leaf packs
any response Is appreciated

94 2 door cherokee xj
31x10.5 km3
no front bumper
4.0 ax15
5 speed
4 hole injectors
banks power exshaust
stock catalytic converter
new brakes all around
and 3/16's frame sliders welded on

Back