• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor mount woes.....FML

Tacowhip

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I just got finished installing a new heater core and evaporator on my 95 xj. I’m taking it up the road after finishing the job feeling happy as hell that this project is behind me. I ride over a manhole cover, and hear a loud snap, followed by nasty vibrations when accelerating. I take it home to find all 3 right side motor mount bracket bolts snapped about 1/8in inside the holes. I’ve tried drilling them out with no avail. To make a long story short, anyone using brown dog super brackets without the 3 existing bolt holes? I believe there are 8 on the brown dogs. Thanks

I couldn't cause the owner before me tried to weld the mounts to the block after he broke them off. So i just bolted the rest of them on an i haven't had any issues. I used the brown dog plates

I've installed both Stinky Fab mounts and the Brown Dog mounts, and IMHO the Stinky Fab ones are the nicer made of the 2 mounts. My first exposure to an XJ was sheared engine bracket bolts on my mom's 95. I was home on leave and we just yanked the engine, easy outed them and put in new bolts. This was around 1998 or so. Nowdays I'd rosette weld a washer on them. If you can get it to an exhaust shop they'd get those out pretty easy.

Back