• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to Jeeps

WV Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I'm probably going to be getting a 95 or 96 XJ w/ 6 cylinder, 5 speed, 4 door, etc soon. My question is, a friend of told me about some cheap lift ideas and I wanted to verify them before I spent any money. He mentioned putting coils from a '79 Ford on the front (upside down because of the small coil being on the bottom of the Ford) for about 3.5" of lift. Also, I've been reading about spring packs from Dakotas and S-10s (using the main leaf from the XJ and cutting the eyes off of the doner pack) being used in the rear for about the same amount of lift. Just wondering if there is any truth to all of this and if there are any drawbacks or problems running these setups. I'm all about saving money, but not if it's going to cause problems.

Thanks, Jason

Hi, :wave:

first of all it depends on how high you want to get. up to 3" should be no problem with the stock car - only using spacers (part of olastic or metal which is installed between car and springs) and shakels (for the rear) and nothing else (maybe longer shock absorbers when you want to do real offroad wheeling).
if you want to get higher you probably wil have to modify more than that. then it can be necessary to use other drive-shafts, steering-parts, control arms, ..... This is because of the changed geometry of the undercarriage.

if you only want a better look and just a little wheeling up to 3" is quite good.

greetings from austria
Rainer

From what I have read, get the Rubicon Express 3.5" lift kit. Saves time of collecting parts and worrying about fitment issues.

Someone want to answer his question?
Read his post, he's not asking for lift recommendations, he just wants to know if these ideas will work.
I've heard the Dakota leafs will work for around 3" of lift but have no experience (1st or 2nd hand) with this. I know nothing of the Ford coils.
A good site for these type of Mods is here:
http://www.cheapxj.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=2c07a472c2df2c8a40b835f790537f7e

any coil that is made for a "Truck" with a frame, massive v8, and a much higher tow load than the XJ is gonna ride like a brick IMO... I was considering this as a lift oppurtunity, but then found an used lift for cheap enough that i almost stole it.

check these out -
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23381&highlight=leaf

i am planning to re-do my rear suspention based on Goatman's Post. The ZJ coils seems like a viable oppurtunity.

I would also look into new coils, as IIRC coils arent all that expensive... like $75? a pair for the JCWhitney "HD coils" which according to sources on this board give about 2" lift.

A home made coil spacer from a Cutting board or some spare mettal would get you up to 3"...

LCA's are a good idea to look into, as your front u-joints will hate you...

search around and keep asking questions, people tend to help out

Welcome to NAXJA
-Ranger

Alright, I found out tonight from the guy that owns the Jeep, that it's an '88 model (my friend's on crack or something). Everything else is the same except mileage (somewhere in the 200K mark), the speedo doesn't work, the floor boards were rusted out and have been covered w/ sheet metal. I asked if it had part time 4WD, which would indicate an NP 241 T-case right? He said that when you shift it into 4WD it has a light comes on that says "part time", so I'm assuming that it is a 241. I don't think the 231 had part time, did they? Question is, is that a good T-case? Like I stated above any and all info is greatly appreciated before I go ahead w/ this and get in over my head.

Thanks, Jason

Which shift pattern does the t-case have?

The NP231 (Command-Trac, used 87-01) is Part-Time only. Shift pattern 2H - 4H - N - 4L
The NP242 (Selec-Trac, used 87-01) is Part-Time or Full-Time. Shift pattern 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO

The NP241 wasn't used in the XJ Cherokee.

The only thing he said was, when he puts it in 4WD that a (part time) light comes on I guess around the gauge cluster. Yeah I thought it was 242, but i'm half asleep and wasn't thinking. Also the 4x4 Garage book beside me didn't mention the 242 in the T-case section, lol. He also stated that it had dana front and rear ends and I asked if they were D44 and he said he was thinking D60s. Is this possible? How do I tell? Any other info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

Last edited:
There not 60's unless he installed them. There should be a stamp on the axles near the diff cover.

What your buddy told you about the lifts for the rear is true, i have no idea about the ford coils though. You most likely have a 231 transfer case. And your front axel is probably a dana 30 and your rear is a 35

Alright last question from me in THIS thread, lol. Are those axles pretty strong for being stock and I'm not going to be wheelin' it very hard. Just a little mud and hunting trips.

Thanks, Jason

WV Jeeper said:
Alright last question from me in THIS thread, lol. Are those axles pretty strong for being stock and I'm not going to be wheelin' it very hard. Just a little mud and hunting trips.

Thanks, Jason
Fine for mud and hunting trips.

Back