• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I may be done with Jeeps

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Rebuilding my 2002 4.0L engine. Piston #6 broke its skirt. Can live with that, but what Chrysler did with their cranks is ridiculous. Main journals all have .001 oversize bearings. 2 of the rod bearings are std and 2 are .001 over. Needless to say you can NOT buy this size bearing anywhere. Chrysler did this to cope with a poor product instead of regrinding at least to a standard oversize. Now I'm going to need to either have my crank reground or get a re-manufactured crank. Am leaning toward a re-manufactured unit do to costs. I've been a Jeep owner since the early sixties, but it may have come to an end as far as buying any newer Jeeps or Chrysler products.

Welcome to the new world of factory engine building. It's not an effort to minimize mistakes, it's an effort to increase quality of the product by fitting the bearing closest to the desired tolerance, and they all do it.

-Ron

The Connecting rod bearings are relatively easy, I found them in a lot of places, even Amazon.

The 0.001 mains are a bit more difficult. I'd check in the Clevit catalog ( http://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/MA...ogs-&-Literature/Catalog-PDFs/Engine-Bearings ) to see if they make them and then order the part through Summit (their shipping is usually pretty easy on the wallet). I'd check the catalog for you, but am having eye issues (recent cataract surgery).

I don't know how many miles you have, but the first thing I'd do is plasti gauge and see what I do have. 0.001 can mean you could be up to .004 out (initially), add in a little wear and you may be able to use a 0.010.

But unless the mains are way out, you may want to do as Old Man suggested and stick with what you have. A problem with sloppy mains is low oil pressure, there is acceptable low and way low. What was your pressure like before your piston issues? If you have a little low oil pressure you can split the difference and just do the connecting rod bearings. Unless the mains are badly scored, grooved, burnt black or turning blue there may still be a lot of miles left in them.

Before you guys go busting Chrysler/Jeeps chops on the .001 bearings, I originally got acquainted with them back in the late 60's and it was on Chevy's and Fords. Back then you could buy .001's and sometimes .003's.

Back