• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brake line removal

RShotl

NAXJA Forum User
I am having trouble loosening the nut on the rear brake line where it attaches to the junction box on the axle. The nut won't budge. Any suggestions?:dunno:

I would try a GOOD quality flare nut wrench, a little PB blaster and some heat. Also try working it back and forth a little (tighten/loosen. I had a '90 that I had that same problem on. Ended up just cutting them and re-doing the lines to the wheel cylinders. Then the only one I had to contend with (which was still a problem) was the rubber line where it connects to the body hardline. That one I ended up using a pair of vise grips on...Not pretty, but it worked.

Good flare nut wrenches are a godsend. I use a set of Snap-On ones and love them. My old set of Craftsman ones (which were stolen... lovely) worked great as well. The cheap ones from Harbor Freight don't fit well at all and WILL round the nuts off.

Secondarily, the more leverage you can get on those suckers the better. I've got a piece of iron pipe I slip over the end of the wrench if space permits - really helps a lot, expecially on vehicles that have a bit of rust.

TheAlmightySam said:
the more leverage you can get on those suckers the better. I've got a piece of iron pipe I slip over the end of the wrench if space permits - really helps a lot, expecially on vehicles that have a bit of rust.

Do you ever worry about twisting the hardline itself and breaking it while using a cheater bar? I did that once.....Not fun at 11PM bending new brake line....

Back