• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ I am at my wits end

COOPS4X4

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 Cherokee 4x4, about 5 months ago, my return line BUNG on my tranny cracked, I searched for weeks for a AW4, tranny, with no luck. So i pulled the tranny cleaned it and JB Welded her back together. With some luck, I some great off road trips, until today when she started leaking again. Now i am out of a desert toy for the season. To top it off, the engine has been was acting up, it would sputter and die at full throttle until she warmed up. So I changed the TPS sensor, spark plugs, SP wires, cap and rotor, computer, Crankshaft positioning sensor. Damn near everything. I have been searching for a vacuum leak but no luck. This morning I got to work and as soon as I put her in park she died. When I got home and turned the corner still in DRIVE, i let off the throttle and she died. This is devastating, literally my pride and joy and I am not ready to give up on her. So I come to the Loyal XJ family in hopes of some advice. I am on the verge of deciding to do a motor/tranny swap. But was hoping for some advice from family, A mechanic shop is not advice, its only as easy way out, and i do not have the EXTRA funds to pay someone else to do my work. I have access to just about everything a mechanic would have to access the situation through co-workers and family. So I would really appreciate, any info some of you may have, if you have encountered any such like issues. Thanks for reading and have a great evening. COOP4X4 NAXJA

With the dying at low idle, fully warmed up, what does the oil pressure read?

Just wondering if the ASD relay isn't being triggered by a low oil pressure input.

This is definitely the wrong time of the year to be without a 4x4 in SoCal.

With the dying at low idle, fully warmed up, what does the oil pressure read?

Just wondering if the ASD relay isn't being triggered by a low oil pressure input.

This is definitely the wrong time of the year to be without a 4x4 in SoCal.

I will let you know when I look at it again, thanks for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The right stuff silicone will seal almost anything, I would clean up the crack and try that on the trans. The running issues really sound like a chafing wire making intermittent contact.

Back