• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Rear brake line too long

cmahaff

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I ordered a Crown extended brake line kit. The rear is 28.5" and just seems too long for my 3.5" lift. The guy I ordered it from assured me this was the correct kit. Stock length is about 14¼

The fronts seem ok, although maybe a bit long at 26.5", I installed them ok.

Can I cut this existing tube down and put a new fitting on it? I don't know why I am struggling to find good information on how to do that online. Everything seems to direct me to working on the hard lines.

I was also thinking I could just go by a 95 YJ rear because those are a bit longer than a stock xj rear hose. But I think that is rubber, and I have these nice expensive steel braided hoses.

Any experience cutting an existing hose shorter and remaking it would be appreciated

If it's rubber then only a shop with the correct fittings and press can do the job. If it's braided stainless you "could " do it with a special fitting if you know the manufacturer or the specifics on the hose.

If it's rubber then only a shop with the correct fittings and press can do the job. If it's braided stainless you "could " do it with a special fitting if you know the manufacturer or the specifics on the hose.
The hose I'm wanting/hoping to modify if braided steel. Maybe I will email the merchant I got it from and see if they have any suggestions

I used a brake hose for dodge Dakota on the rear of my xj with 3 inch lift.

My post was regarding my curiosity in making the one I already bought work. But it seems like shortening the hose will be more trouble than its worth.

The company I ordered it from assured me this length is fine and normal for a 3.5" lift. So guess I will try to finagle it around a bit more and if it doesn't seem right, buy a shorter one

Never place confidence in the word of those who make their living by separating you from as much of your money as possible.

Never place confidence in the word of those who make their living by separating you from as much of your money as possible.
Haha well put. I will try to cram this hose in there one last time and if it doesn't seem right, I'll order a shorter one, elsewhere.

Ideally your replacement brake line would be 2-4" longer than stock. Excessively long brake lines risk rubbing or snagging which could cause a loss of brakes. Braided brake lines require specialized tools.

Return what have, and get what you need.

Longer than stock brake lines:

Stock XJ front
BH38894 - right front, BH38895 left front
- 18 1/4" long,

Stock XJ rear
BH380038
- 13 3/8" long

Wrangler front, BH38861 & BH38862
- 20 3/4" long

Wrangler rear, BH38845
- 17 5/16" long

(these are Raybestos part numbers for a Wrangler, with no ABS)

The YJ rear brake line is about four inches longer than the stock XJ line allowing safe axle extension.

Last edited:
I was able to get it installed and I think it might be ok. How does it look to anyone with more experience
5d30943bc1a456d955b29ac6430a73a1.jpg
828ad75d1acca77ea423f9315e209508.jpg
fef424344d7a0c6f2c622aaffe6fd7ae.jpg

Not ideal, but it’ll be ok most likely.
Could you bend the support tab up, and add an adel clamp on the soft line along the frame? Should eat up some of that slack?

Get a long spring. Run a few layers of eletrical tape then tape spring to line drill hole somewhere to run spring to.

To much is always better than not enough.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Ideally your replacement brake line would be 2-4" longer than stock. Excessively long brake lines risk rubbing or snagging which could cause a loss of brakes. Braided brake lines require specialized tools.

Return what have, and get what you need.

Longer than stock brake lines:

Stock XJ front
BH38894 - right front, BH38895 left front
- 18 1/4" long,

Stock XJ rear
BH380038
- 13 3/8" long

Wrangler front, BH38861 & BH38862
- 20 3/4" long

Wrangler rear, BH38845
- 17 5/16" long

(these are Raybestos part numbers for a Wrangler, with no ABS)

The YJ rear brake line is about four inches longer than the stock XJ line allowing safe axle extension.
Thank you for these part numbers, they are so much cheaper than these Crown ones I bought. Maybe I can resell them at a good deal

Back