• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ front axle in Xj -89

K.Skog

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I just bought a Ford 8.8 as a swap for my rear axle.
The Ford is 3.73 ratio and the front is 3.55, so i need new gears and pinion for the front axle.

Now I was offered a front axle from a Wj 4.7 1999.
Im thinking LS (stock in wj?), bigger brakes and the right gearing (3.73).

Will this axle be a good swap?
I've read something about high and low pinion wich might differ from the old and new d30s.
*Brainstorm*
Is the -89 d30 high or low?
Is the Wj d30 high or low?
Wich is stronger?

If the whole axle is a bad swap
Can I buy a 3.73 ring gear and pinion and swap in the wj differential (if it has a LS?)

I know whats needed to be done to swap the brake parts from the wj to my d30 so that part is nemas problemas.

Best regards
/Kristian

Found some good threads and articles on the Wj.
So as far as i know its not a good swap.

I guess the question boils down to the following:
Will the pinion and ring gear from a Wj d30 fit my xj -89 d30?

The WJ is low pinion and the gears are also so they won't work in a HP D30 (that's what you have).

FYI, the LP is the weaker axle and found in 2000-01XJ's, WJ's, and TJ's.

So the best thing to do at this point is to take:
•knuckles
•brake components
•steering components

from the axle i get cheap and just buy the pinion and ring with 3.73?

When I'm at it; should I try to make off with the steering servo + pump and the brake servo + reservoir (entire setup from the wall)?

He is selling the car for parts, cheap.

Is there anything else I should take?

WJ brakes are not a straight forward swap, they require rotors drilled for a xj and a spacer welded to the knuckle with new unit bearings and a new lower ball joint. The steering if used requires welding a new trackbar mount and trackbar. The hydraulics also require special mods!

I know. The plan was to use the stock stuff for now and swap parts when I get the time. The ring and pinion is top prio though. But as the build progresses I will need the steering linkage and the bigger brakes. The fabrication stuff is no problem.
So what parts on the WJ will make a nice upgrade for my xj -89?

(The WJs v8 is toast so I wont take that)

Be, I got an adjustable, beefy trackbar with a lower mount already installed.

Atm I run 35" on a 6" lift, only on road since I haven't fabricated long arms yet and the brake lines are stretched to the max.

Your best bet would be to just buy a new set of gears, you will need a new carrier also.

Is there a stronger/better front axle to swap wich has
3.73 ratio?
Or
An axle with the stuff stock wich will fit in my d30?

Carrier, ring and pinion will cost me around 1 month salary.
Its cheaper to find junkyard stuff than it is to buy new.

And if there is an axle with a stock locker wich will fit with som fabrication it would be the best way to go.
Lockers alone is 1/2 month salary.

Is there a stronger/better front axle to swap wich has
3.73 ratio?
Or
An axle with the stuff stock wich will fit in my d30?

Carrier, ring and pinion will cost me around 1 month salary.
Its cheaper to find junkyard stuff than it is to buy new.

And if there is an axle with a stock locker wich will fit with som fabrication it would be the best way to go.
Lockers alone is 1/2 month salary.

Nothing that you would find in a JY and used gears would be extremely hard to set-up!

A cheap swap would be a ZJ front axle. It would be 3.73, but would also be low pinion. Other than the LP issue, it should bolt right up. Being LP your front driveshaft may be too short.

Good catch Anak as I forgot about that one, also a '99WJ has the less desirable Teves calipers!

It was easy for me because I have a ZJ.

Two points regarding the Teves calipers: Although they were what was originally installed on a '99 WJ it is possible they would have been changed over to the Akebonos. I believe there was a TSB for that. And although they are generally less desirable, I believe some folks have found the Teves have an advantage over the Akebonos when it comes to fitting inside certain 15" wheels. That becomes a matter of priorities and how much money someone already has invested in wheels and tires. The Akebonos are the superior caliper.

I've never heard that about a difference in caliper size but you will "most likely" have to change to 16" rims which is a good thing for 35" tires!

Nothing worthwhile to take from the WJ other than maybe the brake booster, possibly the steering pump but not the gear. Front axle isn't desirable since they are low pinion, wider and have CV's instead of ujoints. Also WJs don't have a LS that's a chevy motor. The 4.7 was the V8 in the dubs.

Nothing worthwhile to take from the WJ other than maybe the brake booster, possibly the steering pump but not the gear. Front axle isn't desirable since they are low pinion, wider and have CV's instead of ujoints. Also WJs don't have a LS that's a chevy motor. The 4.7 was the V8 in the dubs.

I think he was referring to a "limited slip".

Back