• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 XJ 4.0 exhaust down pipe size/flange?

Lordhelemt

NAXJA Forum User
Did a 4.0 swap into a CJ from a 94 XJ. The project is pretty much buttoned up but I need to build a down pipe from the exhaust manifold. I briefly thought about cutting and using the pipe from the XJ but it has too many bends to really get a good transition to the cat and out the back (running the exhaust down the drivers side).

I think it will be pretty simple to build something that would work with a piece of flanged and 45degree pipe but I'm not sure about the flanged piece that bolts to the exhaust manifold (stock). Will a socket flange work for the piece that ties into the manifold or do I need something different?

Is there a decent exhaust shop in your neck of the woods? Odds are they can build what you want.

A decent exhaust bender is also capable of creating the flares for mating to manifolds.

I hate threads that are left open so I wanted to close this up. The flange is 2.75”. Napa/Walker 41725 is the collector I ended up using (2.75 flange to 2.25). I cut off the slip connection and turned the pipe to clear the bell housing with a few 9 degree pie cuts. About $40 in material, couple hours of cutting/welding/fitting and I have a new down pipe.

Back