• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 gears with 33s= what gas mileage?

Its a Jeep and on top of that its and XJ! You have the aerodynamics of a fcricken brick!

First off, ROFL. Almost literally.
2ndly, your gas millage depends greatly on how nice you play with that skinny pedal. I play nice on the highway (65 and not too aggressive) but am pretty aggressive around town, so have never seen a tank average better than 16.5.
Running 3.55's on tired 31" AT's

This interests me too, I have a couple of rearends I'm thinking of buying, one is geared 4.10 the other 4.56 and I'm currently at 4.5" on 33x12.50s

Get about 14-15 around town with 3.55s and the tranny just LOVES me for it.

which would be better for a rig that sees gravel roads and pavement more than crawling? I'm leaning towards the 4.10s...

Oh, just a side note I dragged my XJ into the shop with the bobcat the other day and fired it up for what is probably the 2nd time since nov of last year. Its sat in a field with no front axle for nearly six months and all I had to was charge the battery and it started first try. Love my cherokee.

What you have to take into account it whether most ppl have installed the proper speedo gear, given the upgrade to 33's with 4:56's without the gear change you would report sweet mileage. I have changed my gear according to charts available online for my 33's and 4:56's and return an average of 13-14 mpg. I drive pretty much half and half freeway speeds and intown crap.
Can take it up to 75 with lots of noise but usually keep it at 68 or so on my approx 25 mile round trip commute. In the last 6 months I drove about 3k miles, driving to the Grand Canyon twice then to Utah and back thru Vegas and returned about 15-17mpg driving 70-80mph.

I have 32s with 4.56 gears, it does not like the interstate. 65mph is about all it likes.
I estimate I get about 16mpg at best, in town or on the highway.

I drove 4.56 with 33s on a manual in NJ for many years. It was perfect. I don't remember my gas mileages (I didn't care that long ago when fuel was so cheap).

I now drive 4.56 with 31s on a manual in CO. I still get the same as I had with 28s and 3.56....about 14 mpg.

456 every time.

Gears, tires, lockers, lift, winch, gear,
The cost will be fuel get over it

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Mine has 4.56 gears, and Falken Wildpeak 33' x 12.50", with somewhere around 3" of lift. I'm getting about 16mpg around here, but on the highway, if I keep it below 70, I get around 18....oh, and I'm running a 6.0 LS (LQ4) with a 4l60e transmission. That could have some bearing on the mileage. I do care about the mileage, because I drive this thing back and forth from Indiana to Utah, and a couple of MPG can = a couple hundred bucks on a 3500 mile trip.

I got 33x12 MT Wranglers (Good year) lifted 5.5 inch, and lots of weight, i.e. roof rack, heavy bumpers, winch, loaded with camping gear, spare gas, water, tools etc....

I got a 4.11 gear. I get 15 to 16 mpg on highway.

Steep grades mean a lot of down shifting. she is a tad slow. (1990 stock 4 liter)

From a drivability stand point for mountain roads I think Id want 4.56, but It is what it is, I got 4.11 and am in no rush to spend the time and money redoing it.

My trail friend has same gears but 32 inch tires, his tires are AT. he and me get near the same mpg, but he can go faster up the grades without down shifting. He has the High Output 2001 4 liter, so he has a tad more power, his lift is 3.5 inch, but also is heavy with rack, winch, etc...

We get near same mpg on highway, but he needs to slow down for me on steep grades.

I got 33x12 MT Wranglers (Good year) lifted 5.5 inch, and lots of weight, i.e. roof rack, heavy bumpers, winch, loaded with camping gear, spare gas, water, tools etc....

I got a 4.11 gear. I get 15 to 16 mpg on highway.

Steep grades mean a lot of down shifting. she is a tad slow. (1990 stock 4 liter)

From a drivability stand point for mountain roads I think Id want 4.56, but It is what it is, I got 4.11 and am in no rush to spend the time and money redoing it.

My trail friend has same gears but 32 inch tires, his tires are AT. he and me get near the same mpg, but he can go faster up the grades without down shifting. He has the High Output 2001 4 liter, so he has a tad more power, his lift is 3.5 inch, but also is heavy with rack, winch, etc...

We get near same mpg on highway, but he needs to slow down for me on steep grades.

Nice info. I'm preparing to go with 32" tires, and I was thinking that 4.11 gears make the most sense.

How can that be. A 6.0 and transmission and all supprting parts and time gotta be worth atleast a few gallon of fuel in cash outa your wallet.

I do agree a 6.0 with good transmission most likly spanks the 4.0 for fuel mileage. Just wasnt free to get it there.

Then if shes working hard pushing big tires offroad that fuel savings may become hard to see.

Nice info. I'm preparing to go with 32" tires, and I was thinking that 4.11 gears make the most sense.

You may not like it if you drive steep mountains. Highway 4 in Califirnia for example, that is steep, plus the thin high altitude air causes HP loss.
like I said, my friend rig does better than mine, but he is has 32 tires, with I assume less rolling resistance as they are AT tires, not MT tires.

I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that 30 inch tires and 4.1 is about same final ratio as stock. so 32 tires makes you about 2 parts in 30 off, about roughly 7 percent.

My rig with 33 tires frequently down shifts on small freeway grades at sea level, then she is screaming in 3rd! and that is driving at 65 mph or less!
when she down shifts like that, it is best to manually shift the tranny into third so that the torque converter locks. if converter is allowed to slip, the tranny temp skyrockets rapidly. so you got to use the driver brain to know to down shift rather than simply let the tranny shift for you.

So I say that 4.1 is marginal for 32 tires, and really not good at all for 33 tires. At least that is what me and my xj friend have determined.

My rig was purchased that way, 4.1 and 33 tires. prior owner originally did the 4.1 regear when he put 30 inch tires on, but later went to 33 tires, He did regear a second time.
moral of that is, if you regear, plan on what final tire size you will go to the first time, plan ahead.

Both me and friend wish we had a higher ratio, but me more so than him, of course he is the one that needs to slow down for me. On some super steep highways, I am in second gear, which means I am turtle slow, and reving like mad.

Suggest if possible that you meet fellow xj owners locally that have done the tire and gear swap and ask for a test drive.

If you have any desire to ever go to 33 tires, do not do a 4.1 now, go higher ratio now. with 32 tires 4.1 is borderline acceptable if there are hills at all. Also on down hills, you dont get as much engine braking unless you down shift even more, and that means even down hills you end up going slower at high rpms!

also you wont have a good off road torque with too low a ratio. Fortunately I have a super high ratio Low range transfer case that mitigates that a bit.

The final ratio needs to fit the motors powerband for best results.

When I was a kid I drove a 63 VW Microbus, 1200 cc, 40 hp. Id take it camping in the mountains, (literally first gear on the shoulder of highway 80 in the Sierra's , hazard blinkers flashing, even the semi trucks in the the slow lane passed me) and my daily driver was a 61 Bug, again 1200cc. So I am used to slow, so I tolerate the wrong gears in my jeep better than most people might, and still I think my gears need to be changed, it is only time and money, neither of which I have much of.

If in your shoes, Id do a higher ratio, I think. You are at boarder line acceptable at 4.1 and 32 tires.

research it more, my advice is just piece of the puzzle. you only want to regear once.

I like my 4.0 idling with 4.88s id like it at idle better with 5.13 or 5.30s. When crawling in 4low im not sure about the power band.

I do have a tendacy to go fast in 2wd off road. Ill run 2nd to 3000 and 3rd. 3000 is kinda imprinted rev limiter

The 4.0 just has no go, gota rev the piss out of to get anywhere fast lower gears will get in in the upper piss rev range faster where it actually makes a couple horsed

You may not like it if you drive steep mountains. Highway 4 in Califirnia for example, that is steep, plus the thin high altitude air causes HP loss.
like I said, my friend rig does better than mine, but he is has 32 tires, with I assume less rolling resistance as they are AT tires, not MT tires.

I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that 30 inch tires and 4.1 is about same final ratio as stock. so 32 tires makes you about 2 parts in 30 off, about roughly 7 percent.

My rig with 33 tires frequently down shifts on small freeway grades at sea level, then she is screaming in 3rd! and that is driving at 65 mph or less!
when she down shifts like that, it is best to manually shift the tranny into third so that the torque converter locks. if converter is allowed to slip, the tranny temp skyrockets rapidly. so you got to use the driver brain to know to down shift rather than simply let the tranny shift for you.

So I say that 4.1 is marginal for 32 tires, and really not good at all for 33 tires. At least that is what me and my xj friend have determined.

My rig was purchased that way, 4.1 and 33 tires. prior owner originally did the 4.1 regear when he put 30 inch tires on, but later went to 33 tires, He did regear a second time.
moral of that is, if you regear, plan on what final tire size you will go to the first time, plan ahead.

Both me and friend wish we had a higher ratio, but me more so than him, of course he is the one that needs to slow down for me. On some super steep highways, I am in second gear, which means I am turtle slow, and reving like mad.

Suggest if possible that you meet fellow xj owners locally that have done the tire and gear swap and ask for a test drive.

If you have any desire to ever go to 33 tires, do not do a 4.1 now, go higher ratio now. with 32 tires 4.1 is borderline acceptable if there are hills at all. Also on down hills, you dont get as much engine braking unless you down shift even more, and that means even down hills you end up going slower at high rpms!

also you wont have a good off road torque with too low a ratio. Fortunately I have a super high ratio Low range transfer case that mitigates that a bit.

The final ratio needs to fit the motors powerband for best results.

When I was a kid I drove a 63 VW Microbus, 1200 cc, 40 hp. Id take it camping in the mountains, (literally first gear on the shoulder of highway 80 in the Sierra's , hazard blinkers flashing, even the semi trucks in the the slow lane passed me) and my daily driver was a 61 Bug, again 1200cc. So I am used to slow, so I tolerate the wrong gears in my jeep better than most people might, and still I think my gears need to be changed, it is only time and money, neither of which I have much of.

If in your shoes, Id do a higher ratio, I think. You are at boarder line acceptable at 4.1 and 32 tires.

research it more, my advice is just piece of the puzzle. you only want to regear once.

Thanks for the comments. My XJ is currently on 31's with stock 3.55 gears. I mostly drive around with the shifter set to 3rd gear, and I manually switch to 4th gear when on flat ground or downhill above a true speed of ~65 mph. 3rd gear has effectively become 4th gear. A true 65 mph in 3rd gear is 2600 rpm. Its actually a pretty decent setup for street driving, but not great for challenging offroad.

Stock 225/75-15 tires should be 28" diameter. All the mud tires have a diameter that is smaller than the indicated size. All the 32" tires I checked have a diameter of ~31.5" (checked specs and measured at tire stores), so the ratio of 32" tires to stock tires is 31.5/28 = 1.13. 4.11/3.55 = 1.15, so 32" tires with 4.11 is right on par with stock gearing, but now having to deal with the inertia of the bigger tires and even worse aerodynamics than stock. 2500 rpm in locked 3rd gear = 57 mph. 2500 rpm in locked 4th gear = 76 mph. 2000 rpm in locked 4th gear = 61 mph. Makes 4th gear more usable than it is now. As you said, this gearing still creates a a hole for steep grades on the road. Locked 4th gear isn't going to work, and gotta rev it to go faster than 60 mph in locked 3rd gear. Or just keep speed to 60 mph which is ok for me.

4.56 with 32" tires gets a bit revvy with 2500 rpm in locked 4th gear giving 69 mph which seems a bit unappealing.

Back