• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange sound, any ideas?

Bruno™

NAXJA Forum User
After installing my RE4.5" short arm kit, re-gearing, locking the front, and putting on 33x12.50 KM2s, there is a sort of knocking type sound when I turn. At first I thought it was just the tires hitting the stock fenders, but after trimming Im still getting the noise. The sound is when Im turning, seems to get worse the sharper I turn, and as the vehicle gains speed, the faster the sound repeats. I need to get a new passenger axle seal, but I dont think that will solve the problem. Anybody have an idea on what this could be? Thanks.

-Lyle

Alright cool, thanks Ryan.

-Lyle

Durr da durr...I don't know why I didn't think about that when you told me. I've read about lockers making click sounds for months...hah.

My bad man. :doh:

~Scott

P.S. Lyle, we should go to Walker Sunday...(after I really quickly get my gas tank skid put on)

or they're hitting your control arms... I don't know if 33's do, but my 35's do...

or they're hitting your control arms... I don't know if 33's do, but my 35's do...

That's what I said at first...but it's a negatory. He has RE control arms.

~Scott

just thought I'd say it a little differently...

My Aussie was loud for about 2 years before it settled down. I tried everything to make it quieter but what eventually worked was just getting it "worn in".

Its a great locker and can take some abuse.

That's what I said at first...but it's a negatory. He has RE control arms.

~Scott
im not saying IT IS his control arms...i doubt its the cause... but are re control arms protected by a shield generator or something? you can rub on golden control arms if your stops arent set right. please stop spreading bad info.

aftermarket arms have better tire clearance than stock... he was saying that this was not the cause.

.......take it easy dude.

yes, but what he said isnt true unless he means an arm that is bent like a zj arm. re arms are not bent, and rub just as easily.
bad info is bad info

any differance is insignificant, there are other ways to avoid tire rubbage, like adjusting those stops.

wait till your ride is damaged from fallowing bad info you found on naxja (uncorrected) to comment on my stict adherance to truthiness`
either way, hes barking up the wrong tree, a tire rubbing sounds like a tire rubbing, you will know the sound when you hear it.

Thanks for the input guys, but no, there is no rubbing on the control arms while street driving. Maybe when fully turned offroad, but otherwise i dont need to turn the wheel that much around town. Im sure its just the locker, makes sense to me now.

-Lyle

ok. debate over. it's not the arms. He established previously that it was the locker. Thread over IMO.

any differance is insignificant, there are other ways to avoid tire rubbage, like adjusting those stops.

wait till your ride is damaged from fallowing bad info you found on naxja (uncorrected) to comment on my stict adherance to truthiness`
either way, hes barking up the wrong tree, a tire rubbing sounds like a tire rubbing, you will know the sound when you hear it.

For the record dude..it's not bad info because this guy is my personal friend. When he told me about the sound at lunch we took a look and determined for a fact it is NOT the control arms. I know what that sounds like, mine did that before I got properly backspaced rims.

Please do not flame me for telling you the correct info.
:nono:

~Scott

Last edited:
Back