• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aug Photo Assignment. The Big Mistake.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Ever take a picture that was a total screw up but for some reason you really like it? This assignment is for you.

This month you are allowed to go back through your library. It doesn't need to be taken in the month of August.

Have fun and yes...I know its a couple days early...sue me.

Moab11.jpg

Summer of 2002- the big Road Trip. Mike Rollins and I were at White Bark Overlook at sunset taking photos of our Jeeps with the Mono Divide as a backdrop. I climbed up to the roof of my Cherokee to get a better point of view when I happened to look down at the LCD of my trusty old Coolpix 995 and saw this:
orig.jpg

It is flipped upside down from the way it came out of the camera but I like this version better.

What it was supposed to look like:
orig.jpg

BTW, I was hoping you would have "lightning" as this month's assignment. August is good for that, at least around here. :)

I have one for you....................

It is big so I will just do a link. If you look closely at the pic you will see the screw up but it is hard to tell. Did not even notice it right away as the pic looks normal.

Hint;" Hugothegrunt does not have twins."

PANORAMIC "Coney Flats" trail run.

Cool to see a panoramic... I would say its the toddler levitating in the middle, if thats not it, it's still pretty darn funny.

this was taken on sunday, i was trying to get a sky view of pittsburgh lake and this stupid bird flew out of the tree right when i snapped the shot.
100_7724.jpg

Great challenge! I'm now on my external pulling up alot of stuff I haven't looked at in awhile.

This was at a bar waiting for a friends band, I was testing the lighting and forgot I had the settings for shooting a night sky the evening before:
VooDoo%20Blue%20112.jpg

From the friday Metal Masher run during the 25th anniversary. During the lunch stop one of the trail dogs ran up and plopped down right at my feet in the shade of a Jeep , so I grabbed this shot...

Zoombump.jpg

...somehow rolling the zoom barrel by accident while pressing the shutter.
just wish the eye was sharper.

River street in Savannah. Knew it would come out bad without a tripod, but I kind of like them anyway. Didn't bring my good camera either.
blur1.jpg

blur2.jpg

Northwest Maui coastal view, with wife's hand...

Do I get bonus points for submitting one that was actually taken in August? Four days of beautiful sunny but not too hot weather on Hole in the Rock Trail inspired tentless camping for the duration. There was not a single cloud the whole time and the waning moon rose after 3am, making for incredible stargazing from the comfort of my air mattress.

Jared was talking about making star trail photographs, I have never done one so I gave it a try. My plan here was to get Camel Rock silhouetted against star trails. I used my 50mm lens at f/4, set the camera to iso 200 in bulb mode with a locking cable release and bedded down on the warm slick rock next to the tripod, planning to check on it in a little while. Well I konked out and didn’t check on it till morning. The camera battery died during the exposure but I guess it is smart enough to close the shutter and write the image to the card before expiring. To my amazement the reward for falling asleep at my post was a 84 minute exposure featuring an image of Camel Rock illuminated solely by starlight!
orig.jpg

The only editing done was to resize it and clean up the noise. Nothing else was necessary.

Back