• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scissor shackles

What's my point, am I missing something? You quote exactly what I wrote, then ask what's my point? My point was what I wrote. I would write it all again, but then would you ask my point? I wanna see down the road, as I wrote, here we go... Keep us posted.

I did not quote what you wrote at all. your statement pretty much interpretted that it was a bad idea because it would function on a different level than what a shackle normally would function at.

fact of matter is that it will function the same as a regular shackle on the road, and off-road it will just flex more. when properly built there will be no failure points. properly built, I might add, would be using something other than factory shackles to do it (for strength purposes)

Did I write it was a bad idea, or was that added at a later date? I mearly pointed out what I saw. I run a 6" lift with extended shackles, and am waitin to rip one outta the body. I wanna see what they do down the road. The post above yours asks "what's your point?" so I answered. Then, I answered you, because I'm bored.

Last edited:
*shrug*.

only way you're gonna rip one out of the body is if your xj's body is rusty as hell and the shackle mount is deteriorating. that, or driving really stupid...which I don't think you would be the kind of guy to do.

Wouldn't the additional leverage be the same as if you have taller leaf springs? And that's only when it's extended.

BUT with the new angles of the shackles during normal operation, the forces are at different angles from usual.

Wouldn't the additional leverage be the same as if you have taller leaf springs? And that's only when it's extended.

BUT with the new angles of the shackles during normal operation, the forces are at different angles from usual.

no. at extension, the only thing the shackles do is allow more travel, but they also limit the amount that it will travel. when extended, they are not "supporting" anything.

the angles are pretty much unchanged. with the scissor shackles, you have points A (body bolt) B (center bolt I.E. shackle to shackle bolt) and C (leaf spring bolt).

without them, you just have points A (body side) and "C" (aka B) of the scissor shackle system.

the distance between A and C with the scissor shackles is more or less the same as the distance between point A and B on a traditional shackle system, if you've set it up correctly. therefor it will handle the same road forces as it did with a traditional shackle (again, if it's set up properly).

now don't get me wrong...I've never done a scissor shackle system. but I have studied them and it's not exactly rocket science to figure out the geometry and weight positioning etc.

no. at extension, the only thing the shackles do is allow more travel, but they also limit the amount that it will travel. when extended, they are not "supporting" anything.

the angles are pretty much unchanged. with the scissor shackles, you have points A (body bolt) B (center bolt I.E. shackle to shackle bolt) and C (leaf spring bolt).

without them, you just have points A (body side) and "C" (aka B) of the scissor shackle system.

the distance between A and C with the scissor shackles is more or less the same as the distance between point A and B on a traditional shackle system, if you've set it up correctly. therefor it will handle the same road forces as it did with a traditional shackle (again, if it's set up properly).

now don't get me wrong...I've never done a scissor shackle system. but I have studied them and it's not exactly rocket science to figure out the geometry and weight positioning etc.

I mean the angles on the shackles themselves, in the normal nonflexed position. Instead of being slightly back, the top shackle is now slightly forward.

And when extended, there is still sideways force on the shackle.

I'm not saying it's not safe, because I have no idea either way, but it seems like it's worth thinking about

not correct. it's still slightly back.

remember A (body side) and C (leaf spring side) are in a straight line of each other. that is essentially the same as having just a regular shackle with points A and B.

remember, that shackle WON'T flex forward at ride position when it's stopped by the second shackle. it will function as normal, save that in a brake stand it will probably lift the rear quite a bit lol.

Here's a old thread to renew the pics from 2003!
027_24_zpsz8t29v3h.jpg

028_25_zpsi4kb8un4.jpg

Haha! The good old days of experimentation, thanks for re-uploading. I was amazed after not being in the jeep world from around 2005 to 2020. The quality and usefulness of the products has jumped so much... and I understand I missed the real heyday for XJs.

I made a very similar scissor set up with MJ Shackles. I believe I ripped them off a day later

If you meant "sliders", they can't be used together.

Back