• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring harness diagrams needed

racintck

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend was productive on the 89 XJ 4.0l with the exception of finding a smoked wire where the previous owner tried to salvage it using electrical tape. I have no idea where that wire went but it came off the motorcraft starter relay battery terminal. I also found a wire that came from the cab to the green wire on the same relay, but that was hooked up to a momentary push button switch which wasn't necessary to start the jeep.

All that being said, in my clean up effort the dang thing won't start or even send power to the starter solenoid. I was able to start it by jumping a hot wire to the starter solenoid terminal on the starter relay.

So with the fried wire and the starting issue along with cracked and exposed wires, I am curious if there is a good diagram I can get my hands on to torture myself.

the transmission needs to be in park or neutral for it to send power to the solenoid. a bad or misadjusted NSS will cause a similar issue.

sometimes wiggling the shifter will get it going

That is exactly what it was. It is funny how issues start to pop up once you get the vehicle home. Thanks for the info.

the transmission needs to be in park or neutral for it to send power to the solenoid. a bad or misadjusted NSS will cause a similar issue.

sometimes wiggling the shifter will get it going

This weekend was productive on the 89 XJ 4.0l with the exception of finding a smoked wire where the previous owner tried to salvage it using electrical tape. I have no idea where that wire went but it came off the motorcraft starter relay battery terminal. I also found a wire that came from the cab to the green wire on the same relay, but that was hooked up to a momentary push button switch which wasn't necessary to start the jeep.

All that being said, in my clean up effort the dang thing won't start or even send power to the starter solenoid. I was able to start it by jumping a hot wire to the starter solenoid terminal on the starter relay.

So with the fried wire and the starting issue along with cracked and exposed wires, I am curious if there is a good diagram I can get my hands on to torture myself.

I studied various diagrams and never really got a handle on the harnesses until I stripped a set out of a wrecked Renix. I rolled the harnesses up and stored them in buckets. When trying to follow a wire on the XJ I'd lay out the extra harness on the garage floor and follow the wire there first.

Back