• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whistling sound

Jeepmedic46

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My 2000 Sport with the 4.0 has all of a sudden developed a whistling sound while driving down the road. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Have you check the intake system?

Does it get louder when you accelerate or when you take your foot off the gas pedal?

Does it get louder when you accelerate or when you take your foot off the gas pedal?

Good point, take vehicle speed out/in of the equation.

Definitely!

Could be a vacuum leak. I don't know about the late models, but my '96 uses vacuum to control the flow of coolant through the heater core and to open and close the doors that direct the flow of air through the HVAC system. Lacking engine vacuum you will lose those features.

Your vacuum comes from the intake side of the engine. This could be as simple as an aged rubber boot that has deteriorated and come loose from the vacuum fitting. You are going to have to look and listen under the hood.

I’ll check that out. It happens upon acceleration. Could this have a effect on the heater not working?

Yes, happened on my 2000. There is a small vacuum line coming out of the firewall next to your A/C drier. It's the hard plastic type and mine cracked, so as a temporary fix I put a length of heat shrink tubing on it, butted the ends together and it held for a long time.

Back