• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not so long long arms.

SkyChi

NAXJA Forum User
While taking some measurements underneath the XJ I realized that if I keep the frame mounts in front of the X-member the LCAs will only be ~22" long. That's only 5.75" longer than the short arms on it now. I wonder if that added length would be worthwhile or should I just do Drop Brackets (I just happen to have a set of the new RC brackets)and call it a day. Eventually I do want to do Long Arms along the lines of the Rock Krawler Prerunner lift w/ 4 independant CAs but it's not in the cards today.

The two sets of long arms I have built mounted just in front of the crossmember. They were WELL worth it. The ride is so much smoother.

lowrange2 said:
How long are the RK arms? Their brackets are in front of the x-member.

Not sure but they look a lot longer than 22". Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that there are 2 different stock mounting locations for the crossmember. My XJ is a 4cyl w/ manual tranny & NP231 and the X-member is mounted in the foreward most position effectivly shortening the available room ahead of it. Moving the X-member back only gains 4.5" I believe. Then you have to modify the tranny mount to meet the X-members new location.

You have run drop brackets haven't you? How did you like them?

Last edited:
old_man said:
The two sets of long arms I have built mounted just in front of the crossmember. They were WELL worth it. The ride is so much smoother.

How long did your CAs end up being & with what drivetrain configuration? 22" just seems awful short.

Last edited:
Automatics come in at about 32".

SkyChi said:
Not sure but they look a lot longer than 22". Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that there are 2 different stock mounting locations for the crossmember. My XJ is a 4cyl w/ manual tranny & NP231 and the X-member is mounted in the foreward most position effectivly shortening the available room ahead of it. Moving the X-member back only gains 4.5" I believe. Then you have to modify the tranny mount to meet the X-members new location.

You have run drop brackets haven't you? How did you like them?

They were great...They just weren't "hardcore" enough in my mind. LOL I just had a wild hair and wanted something different. I sold the DBs and bought the RK kit. The main reason I went that way is because I needed new joints all the way around and it was cheaper to sell the DB and buy that kit rather than pay 200 bucks for RE joints.

It just hasn't got here yet for some reason. :( I wish it would hurry up. I've got lots of work to do.

For a daily driver and mild offroader, I'd say go for the DBs.

I can't wait to try out the RK kit and my new tires, and axles, and blah blah etc.

with the rock krawler three link kit we ran into trouble because the ba10 uses the forward holes as well, you have to use the back holes for that kit.

SkyChi said:
While taking some measurements underneath the XJ I realized that if I keep the frame mounts in front of the X-member the LCAs will only be ~22" long. That's only 5.75" longer than the short arms on it now. I wonder if that added length would be worthwhile or should I just do Drop Brackets (I just happen to have a set of the new RC brackets)and call it a day. Eventually I do want to do Long Arms along the lines of the Rock Krawler Prerunner lift w/ 4 independant CAs but it's not in the cards today.

I know several buggy guys who run 22-24 inch control arms and feel its the "magic" number..

What's your current lift height that you're running stock arms on?

DB's and Longarms will both be effective in improving your ride on your manual tranny. Obviously you won't get the angle improvement that the auto tranny guys get, but a near 6" longer control arm is definitely a significant gain.

I'd say go for it, I am sure you'll be very happy with the improvement!

lowrange2 said:
They were great...They just weren't "hardcore" enough in my mind.

Not to mention they look funny! haha.

WheelinJR said:
DB's and Longarms will both be effective in improving your ride on your manual tranny. Obviously you won't get the angle improvement that the auto tranny guys get, but a near 6" longer control arm is definitely a significant gain.

I'd say go for it, I am sure you'll be very happy with the improvement!

Not to mention they look funny! haha.

I have to admit DBs don't look too good hanging down there but by most accounts they are functional. I'll probably install them and keep working on my Mid Arms design. Who knows, maybe I'll come up with something worthwhile.

WheelinJR said:
hahahah, I bet!

It's kinda funny but the wife and I were at SuperLift 2 weeks ago and I was puttin on my sales pitch for Jeep parts as usual. Anyhow as soon as I said "long arms or drop brackets would improve the ride" she got interested. She doesn't really care how big a rock we can crawl over or how well armoured the rig is as long as she is comfortable. Typical huh?

Arm length is no where near as important as arm angle, that's why drop brackets work. The only problem with drop brackets is reduced ground clearance, which is also the only problem with long arms. Many of us feel that the best solution is a slightly longer arm, or mid arm, with better arm angles and better ground clearance. My XJ handles and rides extremely well, and the lower arms are 19.5" long. The buggy front arms are 24" long. One of the keys to getting better arm angles, and better ground clearance, is to have the arms mount to the axle even with the tube.

I've wheeled with guys with both long arms and drop brackets, I wouldn't say one hangs up more than the other.......if anything, the long arms hang up slightly more. The break over angle is better with drop brackets than it is on long arms with a big crossmember hanging down. Of course, this is referring to the typical long arm setup that mounts the arms to a large crossmember that hangs down below the frame, if the long arms are well designed with the mounts up inside the frame then it's a different story.

Goatman said:
Arm length is no where near as important as arm angle, that's why drop brackets work. The only problem with drop brackets is reduced ground clearance, which is also the only problem with long arms. Many of us feel that the best solution is a slightly longer arm, or mid arm, with better arm angles and better ground clearance. My XJ handles and rides extremely well, and the lower arms are 19.5" long. The buggy front arms are 24" long. One of the keys to getting better arm angles, and better ground clearance, is to have the arms mount to the axle even with the tube.

I've wheeled with guys with both long arms and drop brackets, I wouldn't say one hangs up more than the other.......if anything, the long arms hang up slightly more. The break over angle is better with drop brackets than it is on long arms with a big crossmember hanging down. Of course, this is referring to the typical long arm setup that mounts the arms to a large crossmember that hangs down below the frame, if the long arms are well designed with the mounts up inside the frame then it's a different story.

Good info Goatman. I've looked at some of your previous posts on the subject and gotta say I pretty much agree with you on this. I'm gonna do some more reading about the geometry involved and come up w/ something. Probably be something similar to what you're using. Can you suggest some sources for the geometry info?

Yeah, chalk and string on the garage floor. :D

That's how I did mine. Compare angles and ground clearance with various lengths and mounting positions.

Geometry wise, get the arms as level a possible, even the upper arm.

Last edited:
Back