• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Web Wheeler!

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
After seven years the Dell finally kicked the bucket. As near as I could tell it was the motherboard or the processor. After shopping around a bit I discovered that new computers are a bit on the pricey side. Err, for what I wanted anyway. So much for plan A. Plan B on the other hand came with lots of parts, 6 ½ miles or wires and brain numbing volumes of instructions.

DSC06400.jpg

Shiny!!! The MB in the Dell sure didn’t look like this. Shiny is always better; think about it; which is better, a floppy of a CD? It makes perfect sense to me.

DSC06406.jpg

Have to have a brain. The thing looks wild in Task Manager with four graphs going.

DSC06407.jpg

Every Brain should have a propeller on its hat to keep it cool.

DSC06391.jpg

Plenty of memory was a must.

DSC06394.jpg

This should keep the gamer in the family happy; a little overkill for “WOW” in my opinion. Ethan says it’s an improvement.

DSC06405.jpg

The obligatory floppy and DVD drives. The cabinet has slick trays for holding hard drives. I don’t think I’ll ever use all six bays, though. Currently I have 1.4 Tb installed.

DSC06412.jpg

The power supply and all of it's cables, less than half of the wiring. I’m still cross-eyed.

DSC06421.jpg

The finished product and primary (happy) beneficiary; he did help though.

All in all, the whole project went smoothly and everything worked as it was supposed to when I powered it up and loaded the drivers. That was a pleasant surprise. All of the components came with instructions that were reasonably clear. The best were for the motherboard and the worse were for the CPU cooler. Now that I can web wheel again I need to get up off of my butt and work on the Jeeps. Hehehehe, yeah right.

Sweet ride! Its good to hear your voice again Bent.

how much did that set you back? At home I have a 3ghz machine but have been contemplating kicking up to a quad

Damn. My desktop is still a p2/450, I did recently bump it to 512 megs of ram and add a second 9 gig disk.

Glad to see you're alive. Was starting to wonder where you went.

:wave: Tim and Ethan.

Skwerly said:
Still welding?
Yup, Wed. nights. You ought to come back. Bill has fallen off the planet.

Yes John, yer still faster.

I'm still runnin a EMachines with 1.4GHz AMD Athlon XP and 40GB HD. I upgraded the RAM from its previously upgraded 256MB to a gig. My laptop which is the only one with net access, the desktop has been offline for too long and would need to get all its updates installed in order to get online again. 1.8GHz AMD Turion, 512MB RAM and 80 GB HD...I need an update...;)

Back