• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plug ident

Noah_Bricker

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Anyone know what this plug goes to on a 1990 mj? It's in the dead center of the harness loom in the grill/radiator cross member.
d57186b87c03383f55bfd7163733ef6e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ambient temp sensor?

Hmmmm...yea I'm not sure. Cus my 89 parts truck doesn't have one..... and as far as I'm aware I never had an ambient temp

Outside Temp sensor. Factory just wires it in most vehicles, cheaper than doing a different harness for temp equipped vehicle.

Sweet. Ur telling me the ohc I'm putting in my mj I don't have to bother wiring haha. Score. Now I just have to find the other end. Anyone know where it is?

Nono. No wiring got cut inside the truck lol. I'll have to go looking for it. Anyone got a picture of what the plug should look like?

One of the best tools I have for tracing wires is my inductive tone generator and probe for work (yes a networking tool!). Specifically this one: https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Networ...8-1-spons&keywords=fluke+tone+generator&psc=1

You're likely familiar with this but I'll explain for the rest of the board. And inductive tone generator sends a signal through the wires it's attached to. This is really made for tracing network wiring but can be used in any wires. The probe is an inductive probe that picks up that signal and plays it on the speaker helping you to find the wire without having to cut it.

Now what makes this particular tone generator better than others is that the pattern changes as you short it. What you do is set the tool into tone mode and press the on button twice so that the red LED blinks. This causes the tool to broadcast a patterned tone (multi-frequency beeping). You set the leads on your pair of wires (or if you're just looking for one you can put one lead on that wire and the other to ground).

Now one of the downsides to inductive probes is that the signal will jump to other wires that are close in the loom. This can make pinpointing the exact wire (or pair of wires) difficult. This is where the pattern shift ability of this tool shines. When you think you've found the wire(s) you want simply short them together (or, in the case of the single wire scenario I mentioned earlier short it to ground). This will cause the tool to shift to a distinctly different pattern confirming that you have the right set of wires. If the pattern doesn't shift you haven't found the pair.

Using this tool I can find a single pair of wires in this room.
i.php

Back