• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on this MJ?

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
So this thing is a 1989 model I believe, auto, 67k original miles. Its been a northern truck so it has some rust issues. The unibody has been completely plated from front to back, 3 linked front 8 lug dana 44, rear is 4 linked and a welded 8 lug 9". No lockers, no chromoly shafts, clean title. Usually I would pass but I really dig the way this thing looks. Hes asking 4500 for it which seems steep to me. What would you guys offer? I know hes got a ton of time in it and dont wanna make him mad with my first offer but honestly I was thinking about $2500 for it? What do you guys think?

Meh, I think I would walk the other way. For me the red flag that waved first was the factory slip yoke. Yes, it looks like plenty has been done; a lot that IMO is out of order as far as making reliability a priority. Just a hunch but get the feeling it would be a $2k regret.

This wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong but nope.

it looks well-abused... when you say the unibody is plated, do you mean just the frame rails, or are the body panels armored as well?

long arms, plated rails and upgraded axles but a stock smashed cross member? $2k is reasonable for an abused rig with some decent upgrades.

I'll give you a good deal on a rust free Cali MJ rolling chassis with no bed.. You will have to pick it up though. Haha

Are you sure the rear is a 9"? They didn't make a 8 lug FF 9". Check the front axle too. Ford didn't have a 8lug 44 with 2 piston calipers. Those look line 1 tons to me? If So Depending how they are built that could be worth the money right there.

Are you sure the rear is a 9"? They didn't make a 8 lug FF 9". Check the front axle too. Ford didn't have a 8lug 44 with 2 piston calipers. Those look line 1 tons to me? If So Depending how they are built that could be worth the money right there.
F250 8 lug 44s had dual piston calipers from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

This is how I would break it down, based on used prices in my area, assuming you parted it out.

Axles and brakes: $1k
Tires/wheels: $500
Suspension (LAs, springs, shocks, TB, steering etc): $500
The MJ itself (body, motor, trans, TC, drive shafts, etc): $750 (a lot more if not chopped up)
Other misc items (fuel cell, interior stuff like maybe a CB, stereo etc): $300
Cage is worth nothing - it's a sunk cost that can't be recovered.

That adds up to $3,050

As a whole, I feel the rust brings the over all value down to around $2,500.

But you'd still have a TON of work to do to fix the rust and address some of the issues ...replace x-member with proper one for off-road use for starters.

With all that said though, the true value really depends on how well it runs and wheels. If it's rock solid, everything works, and it wheels like a champ just as it is ..... maybe $4,500 is a bargain.

I'd start with $3k. Looks like there is plenty of evidence of plating, bending tube, and reinforcement that would insult me if someone went lower than 3k. A new crossmember and a SYE looks like that thing will flat out work. If the drivetrain runs like a sewing machine then I can see the $4.5k asking price.

I hope you can snag it! :greensmok

Back