• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another 87 MJ build/rescue

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User

host images

upload a gif

My daughter has been a Jeep girl from way back. This weekend we bought her a 87 4cyl 4spd 2wd and got a great deal on it. $850. Previous owner made a lot of improvements. We're planning on a 6.5" lift, 4x4 conversion, 33's, bumpers, winch etc.

The air filter assembly was missing so we made a "cool air intake" out of some left over odds and ends in the shop and a $20 cone filter.

screenshot tool

Shes already a great driver of our trail Jeep. She was concerned about buying a stick shift Jeep. But if she can learn to drive a 4cýl stick the same way as she handles the 6cyl auto trail jeep...well that'd be awesome.

screen cap

I havent built up a mj yet. And its been a long time since I've renix'd.

This weekend will be spent trying to fix the electrical gremlins. Fuel gauge, turn signals, and brake lights. Checking the grounds first. If I pin those down I'll figure out how to install a temperature gauge and tachometer I have laying around the garage.

Tomorrow I'll go to the junk yard to measure axles and see whats out there.

images upload

Got some measurements off the wj in the junk yard today. Going out in a bit to measure the xj. Sure looks like that passenger side knuckle would let the steering clear leaf springs BUT I'm not sure that the pumpkin wont be in the way of a spring perch. Didnt get good measurements on that though.

It appears that the wj front would bolt in. Control arms all about the same width, spring mounts and diameter about the same. Not worried about sway bars. BUT I'd have to find the 3.73 geared axles for about free.

Pro's would be better brakes, steering, track bar, maybe an inch of lift from the taller spring mounts, large number of new jeep take off wheels and tires, and a little more width.

Con is no gain in strength. Might as well just find a HP D30 front and pop it in. Save my self a lot of short term time.

So I've got:
No brake lights.
No turn signals.
Hazards only work in the back.
No blower motor.
No gas gauge.

Can anyone think of the the first place I should search? I'll be cleaning grounds and c101 tomorrow. Then I'll be probing the fuse block. I did replace a few blown fuses but only the shift up light started working.

So I've got:
No brake lights.
No turn signals.
Hazards only work in the back.
No blower motor.
No gas gauge.

Can anyone think of the the first place I should search? I'll be cleaning grounds and c101 tomorrow. Then I'll be probing the fuse block. I did replace a few blown fuses but only the shift up light started working.

Brown wire on the electrical portion of the ignition switch down on the steering column is toasted along with the switch.

Eliminate the c101:

http://cruiser54.com/?p=140

Thanks Cruiser. I just went to a friend's house on Sunday and he came to the same conclusion about the steering column. I did pull apart the c101 connector and cleaned it as well. I'm about to stop by my lunch break at the junkyard and look for steering columns. Any 87 through 90 should work as long as it's remix right?

Thanks Cruiser. I just went to a friend's house on Sunday and he came to the same conclusion about the steering column. I did pull apart the c101 connector and cleaned it as well. I'm about to stop by my lunch break at the junkyard and look for steering columns. Any 87 through 90 should work as long as it's remix right?

Pretty much. Just the ignition switch can be swapped easily.

12985619_10206980361520630_8502861101019591362_n.jpg

Scored a pair of these at the local salvage yard for $22 out the door. Got all the bushings and sleeves BUT those poly bushings look a little old. Probably crumble quick after she starts flexing. Nothing else of the lift kit was left. :(

Checking out that ignition switch in the morning Cruiser.

And cleaned up the brake light switch. Found the brake light fuse had once side not making a connection. Fixed it. Brake light work. Also found a 97 4 cyl xj in the salvage yard...has the fan shroud w/ elec fan mounted in it. Not sure that I need this but it was pretty cool.

Pulled column down to check ignition switch. Everything is getting power in run position. No melted wire or corrosion. All I have is a test light to check with. I'm on the hunt for steering column wiring diagrams tonight. And I'll be checking wiring connections under the dash tomorrow, pulling the fuse block loose from the fire wall if I can, and cleaning any grounds I find under there. Looks like the brake or clutch MC's have leaked in the past. What a pain in the butt.

check the grounds in the front turn signal sockets.

it's an open faced socket and they get super nasty. Will cause no signals in the front, and somehow the parking lamps will ground through the dash indicators.

If the clutch master has leaked you probably need to pull the fuseblock. BTDT, sucks. You'll find some jumper wires back there that relate to all of those circuits. Pink wire IIRC, it's been a while.

gas gauge is probably a failed ground at the tank. Check it. Then see if you have proper ohms from the sender with it disconnected from the harness.

f1ac1d67d62912caef9d9f3cc290285f.jpg
076efcb9d65e2aeab33bb588552c0a88.jpg

Bulkhead connector looked "good". Worked on some of PO's wiring. The butt connectors were already there. Front turn signals have power to sockets but not making it through to the bulbs.
On the way to parts store now for something that'll work as turn signals/running lights.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

looks about right.

power to the sockets but no lights is almost certainly failed grounds in the sockets. pull the rubber/foam gasket off and you'll see the exposed, and likely rusted, ground tab.

Got front hazard lights now but no turn signals. Stalk on column is real hard to twist but wipers do work. I'm going to compare steering column wiring with my 91 xj tomorrow to see if I can make sure power is getting to the turn signal switch and back out of the column.
195b6f3e2df63978c2288101a4934626.jpg

Alright I'm down to the flasher for the turn signals is not getting power. Until I got the all data wiring sheets I thought power but from the switch to the flasher relay but now I realize the relay is before the switch. That's why there's only one flasher relay for both sides of the Jeep. Kind of feel dumb now that I think about it.

Back