• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adopt-A-Trail Workdays - June 6 - 7

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
The next scheduled workdays are June 6th and 7th on 2N49 and possibly 2N04, respectively.

Come on out to help us get some work done and have a good time. Remember, volunteer work keeps trails open. If we don't maintain our trails they will end up closed out from under us.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 7
Meet Point 09:00
AM 2N49 SOUTH END / PALM AVE
The focus for Saturday's activities is working on clearing the 2N49C spur. This spur has been overgrown for a number of years, we've been tasked with re-opening it. This work involves winching and brush trimming. This is a tick area, please practice tick safety for yourself, children, and other pets in your charge.

SATURDAY NIGHT CAMPING
Dispersed camping along 2N49. SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 8
Continuing 2N49 maintenance started on Saturday.

COMMUNICATIONS
CB Radio: The fours. We'll start on 4, if busy we'll bump up to 14, 24, or 34.
2m: 146.585 Simplex

What do I need?
Any vehicle that can do a USFS-rated moderate trail (Stock XJ, okay). 2WD XJ is normally acceptable with front tow points however if there has been a recent snow storm 4X4 will be required.

Bring gloves, a hat, and loppers. Please bring light long sleeve shirts for brush work. Closed toe shoes mandatory. Hard hats may be available but if you have your own please bring it. In tick-areas it is best to cover as much skin as possible.

Please RSVP if you plan to attend so we can properly plan. Please state which days you will be doing the maintenance, whether you are camping, and which meeting point you plan to use for Sunday.

Thank you for your time

Last edited:
I hope to do both days, and should be able to do at least Saturday. I will most likely be camping at the Work Center Saturday night.

The only reason I'm wishy washy is I did tell my stepmonster I would get her to & from the local Greek Dancing Festival that same weekend.

I think I will be there with The Varmints.

The Varmints have practice at clearing brush from sides of roads. Mostly dragging it from point A to point B. Will they need hardhats? I have leather gloves to fit their little mitts, but I can't recall ever seeing hardhats for midgets.

Hardhats are only required when working overhead. We can keep them away from active overhead areas and plenty busy!

FYI I'll be kitting mine out with long sleeves, gloves, wide-brimmed hats, and a bandana draped under the hat to cover the neck to minimize skin exposure due to sun and ticks.

Thank you.

On the subject of ticks, are there showers in that campground? And if yes, are they free like at Serrano or do you need to feed them quarters if you want hot water?

And I guess while I am asking newbie questions, campfires likely in the campground? Besides the fact that the campground is behind a locked gate is it pretty much like any other sort of public campground?

Thank you.

On the subject of ticks, are there showers in that campground? And if yes, are they free like at Serrano or do you need to feed them quarters if you want hot water?

And I guess while I am asking newbie questions, campfires likely in the campground? Besides the fact that the campground is behind a locked gate is it pretty much like any other sort of public campground?

There is a free shower at the work center so no issue there. Campfires are allowed there provided we're not in an extreme fire danger, of course.

The Varmints and I are planning on it.

Hopefully none of them will get sick or some such thing and mess up the plan.

Alright folks bit of an issue. I just found out that the SBNF-OHV group has an even at the North Shore Work Center on June 6th and 7th, subsequently we shoudln't stay there due to crowds.

We have two options at this point:

1: I reserve Juniper Group Camp Site. This is over by 2N04 so about 1.5 hour drive from the end of 2N49. As a bonus on Sunday we start off right by the 2N04 trail head (i.e. we can be a bit more lazy Sunday morning!). This facility is dry camping with a vault toilet. Pack in/pack out. Provided we're not in critical fire danger we should be allowed a campfire.

2: We dispersed camp off 2N49. No services, no campfire. Bonus being we're already there.

Thoughts? I need to get this nailed down ASAP, as in tomorrow, in hopes that Juiniper doesn't book up as it is literally the only group campground in the forest that isn't booked right now.

I can live with either option.

The Varmints would probably be more inclined to vote for a place with a campfire (S'mores) but I would lean more towards dispersed camping just for the freedom of doing so.

Hardly a definitive answer, but at least you know you don't have to worry about one or the other being a problem on my account.

I'll commit for Saturday, but am not sure yet about Sunday. As far as Saturday night camping, if I stay I'll go along with whatever the group decides.

I'll be there Saturday, but not camping.

Okay kids, a decision is made. We will dispersed camp on 2N49.

Be prepared to be ready to camp, we will not be hitting any stores. If you have a Sun Shower I'd recommend bringing it along, you can leave it in the sun all day Saturday and rinse yourself off after the work.

As for s'mores we can always improvise with the BBQ grill :cheers:

Also a change for Sunday. Since we're camping on 2N49 we might as well work on 2N49 on Sunday as well. We can work on brushing and removing the rest of that shooting debris we found. We will exit 2N49 via the Lake Silverwood side Sunday. I will be continuing on to Lake Arrowhead to return tools but you may take a quick exit on Hwy. 138 home (of course you are welcome to join me if you were so inclined).

Back