• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimmed rear fender wells?

alek21

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone have any pics of their rear fender wells trimmed? im afraid to do it because i dont wanna mess up my perfect bed, but i want more clearance for when my 33s go in. i know how to do it on an xj, but wasnt sure about an mj. any pics/ write ups appreciated.

Really don't need to. The MJ wheelwells are already slightly larger than an XJ. I have 33s with no trimming, as do many others.

I have 33X12.50s with SOA and at full flex I hit the frame before I contact the flairs.

Here's mine flexing with uncut flairs and 33s
2010-09-28173726.jpg

Last edited:
To cut mj flares it's the exact same as an xj. I have about 7" of lift in the back with 35s and haven't had any rubbing After I trimmed

I only had to shave a little bit off the flare on the bottom to clear 35s at full stuff with about 6.5".

okie dokie. thanks guys

Last edited:
Wheelwell is the same deal as an XJ's. 2 pieces of sheetmetal with 3 pinch seams. One at the outer bedskin, one at the inner bedskin where the two pieces of the wheelwell meet, and one at the bed floor.

Only way to open it up beyond stock is to hack it out and build your own. I made some out of 14ga cold rolled to make room for 40" MTRs.

Sorry for the crap pics, they're from my cell phone. This was also in the middle of bobbing the bed (stock SWB, took about 12" off).

IMAG0433.jpg

IMAG0432.jpg

IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0442.jpg

IMAG0467.jpg

I had to, tall 34's and 2-3" of lift.

DSCF0619.jpg

that's basically cut to the top of the "roll" that the flare was attached to. Don't cut it that far, or you'll get rid of the pinch seam that holds the inner fender to the bedside. It's more critical at the top, so you can cut an inch or more out of the sides, but be careful at the top.

it did look good though.

I have 33X12.50s with SOA and at full flex I hit the frame before I contact the flares,..
This is interesting. I'm curious what backspace rims you're running.

I have 31x10.50s (BFG-MTs) on American Racing rims('want to say 3.5" b.s.) Both rear fenders show contact signs at the top center of the wheel opening under the flare, and both tires show minor cutting on the tread face about 3/4" from the outside edge. It was like that when I bought the truck. In my truck's case, tire/fender contact was probably due to bottoming out the suspension (both sides hitting the bump stops at the same time)

This probably isn't a realistic scenario during trail riding or crawling, but if you do the go-fast routine or jump, it's something to worry about.

Back