• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to Learn Colorado Better

AdonisScout

NAXJA Forum User
I've been off roading since I was 16, but only been living in the Springs off and on through the last 5 yrs and would love to learn the area around the Springs better. I've done a lot off Old Stage, Rampart, Cripple Creek and Woodland Park. Mt. baldy as well in my old rig (98 F-150), but want to better experience what I know has to be some good trails around here. My new toy, an XJ doesn't have much mods, but it's been a champ from what I've seen so far. My point to all this is that anytime anyone is just itching to do something reasonably local and nothing that requires 35's or lockers, let me know. I'd love to experience trails with those that share the interest and network with other Jeep owners and enthusiasts. Most people I know aren't into off-roading so I'm usually alone which can be risky at times.

Thanks for reading and really.. anytime and I'll as long as I'm free I'll most likely jump for it.

Once the snow gets to melting a lot of local stuff will be once again runnable with the mildly modified rigs. I will be going up almost every weekend in the Springs vicinity to somewhere different. I'll try to post-up when I go. Sometimes I'll tag along with different 4-wheel drive clubs, other times just like to explore. I'm open/open on 32" AT's with no winch, so I keep it realistic most times. A good one to watch is the Colorado Springs Christian 4x4 club, they run a 2 groups(one being stock to slightly modded), and do a nice variety of local trails. Anyone can tag along but it can be a challenge sometimes if you have a potty-mouth. Colorado4x4.org is another good one for local stuff.

I've explored every trail that wasn't closed from garden of the gods to woodland park and all through the trails in that area off rampart. Old stage I don't find as much, but try to just explore all the turn offs I can until they end. That was in my more trail worthy F-150. With the Jeep I've gone up Rampart about 12 miles to the lookout there and 14 miles up old stage until I had to head home.

One thing for sure.. I love/hate starting over. Having all the gear and a good rig, to a fresh rig and only a high lift. So I'll be sticking to the safer trails for most the spring time. I know there are trails all around the state, but I just hate using up most my fuel just to get to them for simple week runs.

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and start wheelin the trails farther into the mountains. I did a 500 mile run the other day and figured my MPG to be about 21 so it's not as bad as I thought heading farther west. Thanks for the replies!

Back