• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 MJ Running rough

Biggoose

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody, I am new to the forum, my name is Steve and I just recently purchased a 1989 Comanche swb 4.0 and it had run decently up until this past weekend, when I bought it, it idled somewhat rough but was drive able and it had a cracked exhaust manifold which I blamed for running rough, so this past weekend I worked on replacing the old manifold with a new ATP oem one that I had purchased online. The install seemed to go well other than the fact I had painted the new manifold with high heat paint, which I guess was not high heat enough because it burned right off, now my problem is ever since I got the new manifold installed the jeep hasn't seemed to run right, it even runs worse than before, so bad I can't even drive it to work as I normally do. When it idles it bounces around at right about 500 then climbs up to about 750 then just drops and almost stalls out. Then when I am driving it it feels like there's a lot of shaking coming from the engine and I can't accelerate very well and when I hit the clutch it will stall. I've pulled the spark plugs and I replaced them last weekend and they're already black which I'd assume means it's running rich. I think at least part of the problem might be the egr valve, which I think may be stuck open, because when I reconnected the egr tube I didn't tighten it down all the way and I could hear a constant air sound from the tube. Thanks for any help or input, I'm new to the Renix setup so any extra tips and pointers would be awesome, my other jeep is a 96 xj so I'm not used to all the vacuum lines and all that.

Check out cruiser54 's tips. And also check for anything loo e or disconnected. Vacuum lines etc. Especially, map sensor line.

I was ablessed to fix it with a combination of a few different things, I'm not sure exactly what fixed it but the egr valve was stuck open, so I replaced it and also replaced the tps and ran some seafoam through it and that seemed to fix the problem

I was ablessed to fix it with a combination of a few different things, I'm not sure exactly what fixed it but the egr valve was stuck open, so I replaced it and also replaced the tps and ran some seafoam through it and that seemed to fix the problem

Still do Tips 1,3,4, and 5.

How did you adjust the TPS?

Back