• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

I have had the worst luck with batteries this year. Looks like I will be replacing #3. And this battery is 1 year old. Garaged too.

IMG-20140129-00354_zps60483a30.jpg

I got some store brand batteries at my local auto parts store in May of 2012.
October of 2013 one of them went bad. I went to the store and walked out with two new ones.
The guy behind the counter said you can't just change one of them.
That is why I do not go to Auto Zone type places!

Put it back in and see what it does. You might have just caused it to move and the electric gizmo's will put it back.

It did nothing on the way home from my brother's house. I swapped in the spare one, it's only off by 2700 miles.

I thought that the Odometer value was stored in the ECU on 97+?

in any case 2700miles doesn't make that much of a difference as that can be had in changing to bigger tires. gearing. not changing the speedo gear.

being the go to machinist for SAE baja sucks...

a car had a bent shaft. straitening the old one was just not going to happen after some serious measuring and discussing. it was bent on the very end with no good way of holding or truing. a new one? oh... walt will make it. first order of business was to turn down an old shaft (which i first checked to be true)... this meant turning down splines. brbrbrbrbrbrbr... couple carbides later. apparently grinding them down with a grinder before rattling my teeth out turning a through hardened shaft wasnt an option.

now? now i have to cut a keyway. which... we really dont have the tooling to do in the vertical mill. machine of choice? a circa jurasic period horizontal mill with an arbor (i forget the exact name, think giant metal planer) and a just as old 3/16" saw. the machine has been used TWICE by the instructor in 13 years. i litterally had to figure out everything, inluding how far the axises move, as there is no digital read out (obviously) and everything is scratched off. so... in 4 hours i managed to scale the machine and draw my own marks, figure out the autofeed and lube everything, and get 30/85 thou into it... probably less... as im sure my my blade got smaller.

slow going... i only have one cutting blade to work with.

ugh.

Hope it's not a champion.

It didn't say champion anywhere but why do you say that? I had heard good things about champion besides minor fitment issues .

(I have the CSF)

I plan on putting a wood burner in the basement this year too.

I don't know what we would do with propane going as high as it is without ours, it works even better than I thought it would all the way upstairs.
The downstairs where the stove is stays nap inducing warm, I have had 3 or so days at a time where the furnace didn't click on at all as far as I could tell.
Also it's like it heats to the bone where the furnace even when turned up has my toes, joints, and bones feeling the chill even when my body feels warm. Old tech but it's new to me and with the new stoves they are surprisingly efficient.

I got my tank used with 60% in it (500 gallon tank) just after Christmas I had it filled they put 300 gallons in it. I checked it last night it still has 60%. My house is brand new with super insulation, very good windows and a 95+ furnace. I am thinking I will be able to heat this place for less than $800.00 per year.
I plan on putting a wood burner in the basement this year too.

My house was built in 1850 with some of the original single pane windows. Needless to say its a bit drafty :D Furnace has been updated with a 91 but its pointless because all of the duct work is under the house in the cold zone uninsulated. Id say we probably went through $1000 for the year.

How many put a little bead of rtv on gaskets when putting them on? Getting ready to do water pump and don't know if its really necessary. Most of the time I do but what is everyone's opinion

I use permatex aviation type sealant or gasket shellac on a regular basis. Clean the surface of the old material really good, then brake clean both parts smear the shellac on the wp then stick the gasket then shellac the gasket and stick it.

Flex can you pull the cover off and spin the needle back to zero?

Replaced my 6 year old Autocraft silver battery from Advance last week. Started the jeep just fine through the worst cold snap earlier this month but finally let go last week.

It didn't say champion anywhere but why do you say that? I had heard good things about champion besides minor fitment issues .

(I have the CSF)

I bought one. It leaked after a couple months. Had a warranty but they were out of stock so they gave me my money back. I bought a CSF.

After watching a few radiator threads I found out this was a common issue with them and many more people were having the same problem. Another thing I found out...and this really surprised me is that an aluminum radiator can not be repaired like a copper one can. If they break in a place that can't be tig welded they can't be easily brazed.

Re: Re: Important

My house was built in 1850 with some of the original single pane windows. Needless to say its a bit drafty :D Furnace has been updated with a 91 but its pointless because all of the duct work is under the house in the cold zone uninsulated. Id say we probably went through $1000 for the year.

You mean so far this winter, or total for the season?

Back to the van again. Put a good battery in it (it is used, but correct size unlike the bad one). It ran from my moms house to my house (1/2 mile) and when I was leaving my house, I put it in reverse and it died. I was able to get it into a neighbors drive. It ran okay in park and neutral, but not in forward or reverse. I am now thinking it is a fuel issue (hopefully a filter or moisture in gas).

Back