• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carnage Canyon...Labor day weekend

1-tonxj

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm hoping to have my XJ on Carnage Canyon for labor day weekend if I actually have the weekend off I'm not sure who else will be going since most of my fellow wheelers are afraid to scuff their paint jobs , but i'd figure i'd just throw it out there since the keyboard must get boring after awhile .

Better hope it's been dry. The ledge below the V-notch was a muddy swamp last Sat. The only line was the left side ledge, which lead to much tippiness. One buggy flopped into the mud pit.

my buddies "rusty mustard" drove it and the exit said it looked great pre rainstorm but the storm did a number on it (like every year).
I say do it to it. You've got the exo on. I don't think you'll flop, just maybe a tug or two. Well worth it. Plus feels good to drive there, run carnage, and still be able to drive it home.

I'm hoping my transmission issue on the Dodge is just what I think it is the result of a leak from a piched up sump to pump o-ring seal , which I reused B/C the EL'cheapo kit from O'riellys does not include the new o-ring , which My ring stayed in the bore when pulling old filter but the struggle to remove it had me thinking trwice about reusing for fear it may leak ,but at 6-pm on sunday I had no choice ,and it seemed fine on the drive to denver last Monday , but when i returned Saturday I felt like something was wrong mostkly going uphill , and after I did my oil change I went to drive up the steep driveway slowly abnd it went completely out of gear , and then was fine , but after a test sping I found on hills it wants to go into neutral ,which I'm almost (almost) 99% sure that o-ring is not sealing at the pump bore and when up hilit is sucking air and losing pump pressure ...Anywho the point to this babbling is I'll be running carnage with a winch labor day if not parting with the coin to fix the 68rfe , And if I need to part with the coin I'll still be going but I'll be relying on the kindness of those with a winch if I get stuck and need it ...if it's dry I probably will not need it ...Hell If I was not constantly having to spend CASH on un-forseen B.S. I would already have run this trail , But it seems lately I'm spending cash on nothing FUN...LOL.

Last edited:
I don't see why, with the amount if rubber under your rig carnage should be a problem aside from exit and climb to vnotch. Flores should run it pretty solid even. Wish I could join.

I'm soooo pissed I did my transmission service last week on the Dodge , but on the way home forgot to grab a filter kit from dealer ,So I grabbed one at O'rilleys , and yesterday after doing my oil I had a complete loss of transmission operation going up hill , and the dip stick had air bubbles bad and the dip level was super high , and since I needed truck for work I had to fix it today , and the f-ing cause was the cheap ass spin on filter on the return line for the cooler return would not stay tight , which I had a suspected that with air bubbles and high dip level , but I thought it was me not putting it on tight since i only hand tightened it , but it's the filter it just will not stay tight , and fell off ...sweet ...lol...CHEAP CHINEESE ...parts strike again ...anywho the group ran carnage then chinaman's ...i'm so pissed at the moment .

I'll see if pics surface from the groups trip yesterday ...Danny ran it , which surprised me a ton since he is not one to like body damage , which lining up for v-notch earned him some . The trail is muddy ,wet , and washout condition from the rain we've been having ....So I will be ceretain to have my winch for the trip since it is going to get a ton of use from what I heard of the trail report from yesterday , and I really need to hit the Boggers up with a groover/siper to get what traction I can out of them .

saw some pics and vids of a group that just ran it, oh man, the climb before vnotch looked really nasty and the exit looked a little more dug out.
But that pit at the v-notch, wow, some ugly stuff. Wonder how the squeeze looked?

Back