• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lunchbox locker slams/bangs

Yodwinder

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a TORQ locker in the rear of my 01 XJ (XJ44 swapped) a couple of weeks ago. Previously, I owned a TJ with Lockrights front and rear, so I'm not new to them.

The issue I'm having is that when I get on or off the gas, it "bangs" and can be felt through the whole Jeep. Does not matter if I am going straight, or turning, nor the speed. It's not in a way where it seems like the locker is loading/unloading at the wrong time or anything, but it feels how my previous XJ felt when I lost a u-joint cap on the pinion yoke. Just a lot of "slop" to take up before it engages would be the best way to describe it.

I measured the center gap on the locker and it is within spec. U-Joints on the driveshaft are fine. Backlash on the gears is fine. I did the spin test and it performs as it should. Center pin looked fine when I inspected it during install. Issue was not present prior to the locker install.

Now, if I ease on/off the throttle incredibly gently, I can get it to mostly go away. However, when driving normally (read: not harsh on/off throttle), the shockload can still be felt through the whole Jeep.

Anyone else have this issue with their lunchbox lockers? I have been in contact with TORQ and they can't identify any issues based on what I've told them, and honestly it seems like the keyway design allows for a lot of rotation before engaging. However, at the same time I can't imagine having it bang like that every time I'm on/off throttle is good for rest of the drivetrain.

Back