• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Seals - Aftermarket Outer Axle Seals

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I lost one of my 2-piece plastic splash guards that covers the outer end of the D30 axle tube last evening and I'm looking for a solution to replace it with.

I've seen the anodized aluminum greasable fittings that can be used for this purpose and wanted to ask if people that have used these found them worthy of purchasing. I think these sell for ~$70/pair.

Any creative alternatives to these aftermarket outer seals?

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:
sealsLO.jpg

http://www.jeepin.com/features/axleseals/index.asp

I think this is what he's talkin about.

I have heard good things about them, and the link will give you a write up on the install and some thoughts on them.

I too would like to know more about them, seems like a good preventative measure for any future problems in that area.

Yes, this is the product I was referring to. I do not regard these as expensive but it also seems feasible to have a machine operation performed to the outer D30 tube end to allow installation of a seal.

I think to use these you would be required to clean up your axle shafts otherwise the buildup of rust over the years would degrade the seal quickly.

Any other ideas?

Rick

RAVC1 said:
Yes, this is the product I was referring to. I do not regard these as expensive but it also seems feasible to have a machine operation performed to the outer D30 tube end to allow installation of a seal.

I think to use these you would be required to clean up your axle shafts otherwise the buildup of rust over the years would degrade the seal quickly.

Any other ideas?

Rick

I'm not to impressed.
First there not actually seals they use grease to make the seal.
Next there is a real seal in the tube now, it's way down next to the Ring and Pinion.
There is no bearing or support on the shaft near the end and on real sharp turns the shafts do run out of round a little.
Machining the tube ends would work but won't last because there is no lube out there.

langer1 said:
I'm not to impressed.
First there not actually seals they use grease to make the seal.

Machining the tube ends would work but won't last because there is no lube out there.

you just so contradicted yourself there. there is a seal if you look at the picture again, and the reason it's greaseable is to keep the seal lubricated.

are they worth it...........yes. 2 lines of defense between dirt and your ring and pinion are better than one. if you have a axle tube full of mud/dirt, and your inner seal failes, you'll have all that mess in your diff. this way, you have a seal at the inside and at the outside of the tubes. if one fails, you still have the other for backup.

the only downside to these outer seals is, that you have to take your axle apart and pull the carrier so you can clean the inside of your axle until there is nothing left. and yes, the rust on the axle shafts will obviously wear the seals, so you'll have to clean them up, or install the seals next time you install new axle shafts.

The description states that the grease acts as the seal. Is says that a pocket is formed and once filled with grease it makes a seal, if you got the money it can't hurt though. I'm just not impressed.

Back