• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaking fuel filter?!

CaptTrev

NAXJA Forum User
did an oil change on my 96XJ tonight and glad I crawled all around underneith....

i found my fuel filter leaking

the even stranger part is i just replaced it this past winter....so its not even that old!

its NOT the connections leaking, its a slow leak from in between where the 2 sections of the filter meet in the middle. really weird. wonder if there is any warrenty on it.

i always go with FRAM, but i seem to remember the auto parts store didnt have the fram so I went with the cheapo brand (looked identical to the Fram in every way).

looks like i'll have to replace that tomorrow

LESSON: Its always good to crawl under your vehicle and take a look around once in awhile!

also might be a good excuse to go with a bigger lift! (easier to get under it to check "safety" items!

CaptTrev

PS-has anyone ever heard of fuel filters leaking like this??

If it was leaking from the seam, then I would say it was a defective filter. Did it looked scraped or just rusty? If the paint was still intact, then I would say you just got a bad filter.

paint was still intact. no rust. no crud. I lowered it from its position (hoses still conected) and wiped it down really well with a rag. put it back up, and after dinner took a look, and its got seepage all around the seam, and a single drip forming...

guess I take this up with the Auto Parts Store tomorrow...

PITA

oh well...glad I found it

The same thing happened to me about a month ago. I kept smellng the faintest bit of gas around my truck. I finally crawled under and found the filter leaking. I was really pissed because it was a brand new filter directly from the dealership. I still have it sitting here with the paperwork waiting to go back. I put in an el cheapo filter and it has been working fine.

Where exactly IS the fuel filter located? (98 XJ w/ 4.0)

sticksnstonesrus said:
Where exactly IS the fuel filter located? (98 XJ w/ 4.0)

On the older models with the steel gas tanks, the fuel filter is mounted to the inside of the driver's side frame rail, just ahead of the rear axle.

On the newer ones with the plastic tank (lkike your '98), the filter is integral with the fuel pump inside the tank and is essentially non-serviceable. It gets replaced if/when you replace the fuel pump.

One thing you may want to check is the covering on the strap that holds the filter.It is a thin rubber/plastic strip .If that is missing or worn the you have metal to metal contact and with a little vibration,road salt and water ----here comes a hole.
I used some good electrical tape to cover mine.
Wayne

Back