• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete kit vs...

Mitchell.96.Hall

NAXJA Forum User
Hi new to forum, not new to jeeps or xjs. I have 00’ 2DR 4.0L auto 4x4 xj (8.25 rear, d35 front, np231j). Was on super cheap 4.5” RC lift kit and 35’s. Recently have been starting out the parts on that I’ve been collecting.

The list is extensive but the short and sweet of this post is... IRO front 3 link long arm upgrade kit, Ironman4x4fab adjustable shackles and brackets, IRO 5.5” leafs, IRO 6.5” coils.
The shackles set at their minimum supposedly only add 1.5”. So I should have 7.0” in the rear and 6.5”. But it’s sitting like an old school drag car. The front did not change from the 4.5” RC coils to the alleged 6.5” IRO coils.

I emailed IRO, they are claiming I have the correct coils, still fighting semantics with them, they have not said specifically that I have the 6.5” coils. They are just saying they are correct.

**If anyone else has the IROs 6.5” coils, please let me know the part number so I can see if it matches mine.**

Looking back at it now, summed up with all the other parts I’ve bought, it would have been less hassle and roughly the same outcome if I just bought a complete kit.

However I did pay less and do think I have more articulation going this route.

Anyone else had these issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems your issue is its not level. I think IRO uses Rough Country springs except for their 3.5" lift. I have a set of 4.5 RC springs on one of my XJs. Its tail was way up in the air when first installed. I think it settled down a bit after a year. Still, I was near ax XJ lifter 6" and it was as tall as it. It finally settled after 2-3 years. Check to see if there are anti-friction pads in the spring set. If not, then I'd bet RC leaf springs.

2cf37109d017125726f90287dd426c85.jpg

Well from a to b on the front drivers. I have 13.5” and from c to d in the rear I have 15 3/4”. Don’t have bump stops so not sure exactly what calculated height I’m sitting at in the rear. But according to that I’m 6.5” in the front.

Measuring from floor to rocker panel, front and rear. There is a 2inch difference. Idk maybe I’m getting more from the shackles. And the RC 4.5” springs I had before we actually more. It’s possible I guess

75SV1, yeah the new leaf pack has a bunch of the anti friction pads so probably not RC. But could be 🤷🏼*♂️.

I decided ordering the JKS adjustable coil over spacers, I don’t think I can make the rear any lower without changing shackles, and the amount of articulation and adjustments these give is awesome. So I’m raising the front to match.

—Side note, IRO long arm upgrade kit fails to mention some extra clearancing you should do to get the maximum amount of articulation.
e0aef0035606fb3c217688e172930f83.jpg

Mine, the upper control arm hit their bracket pretty early before allowing for very much droop. (emailed iro, they say ok to clearance the bracket no more than 1/4”) the uppers will also hit on the top side of the arm on the axle bracket. Easy clearancing, get all your money’s worth.

Cut that strap all the way off

Curious how much link seperation right there 4"?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cut that strap all the way off

Curious how much link seperation right there 4"?

Tempted to cut it all, but if I don’t need to then might as well leave as much as I can.

I’ll measure next time it’s up in the air. Eye to eye? Curious why you’re curious, they shouldn’t ever come in contact with each other.

Bolt center to bolt center.

Just curious. Seperation changes characteristics alot. Some long arm kits have little to Seperation on the frame side and axle side is factory 9".
I think I was only able to get 5" Seperation at the frame side. Ive thought about going through the floor and getting 7"

Just curious is all.

I bought mine probably 5 years back. No pads.

They must have made a change round that time because I have a set that's at least three years old (came with my XJ), and it has anti-friction pads, and the set I bought middle of last year also has anti-friction pads. The two sets were visually identically. Anyhow, I guess this is a side show for the OP...

They must have made a change round that time because I have a set that's at least three years old (came with my XJ), and it has anti-friction pads, and the set I bought middle of last year also has anti-friction pads. The two sets were visually identically. Anyhow, I guess this is a side show for the OP...

Good to know. I will add that it was recommended to put some weight, or more like a lot, in the back of the XJ a ride around. Maybe some wheeling. It might speed up or set the springs a bit lower.

75SV1, yeah the new leaf pack has a bunch of the anti friction pads so probably not RC. But could be 🤷🏼*♂️.

I decided ordering the JKS adjustable coil over spacers, I don’t think I can make the rear any lower without changing shackles, and the amount of articulation and adjustments these give is awesome. So I’m raising the front to match.

—Side note, IRO long arm upgrade kit fails to mention some extra clearancing you should do to get the maximum amount of articulation.

Mine, the upper control arm hit their bracket pretty early before allowing for very much droop. (emailed iro, they say ok to clearance the bracket no more than 1/4”) the uppers will also hit on the top side of the arm on the axle bracket. Easy clearancing, get all your money’s worth.

arent they a little bit too close together or this is just my imagination?

Back