NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > South East Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

South East Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2018, 05:07
Member Number 257

Re: Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco01xj View Post
I need a little guidance here. So, Obviously I put my backing plates on the wrong sides. Can I still run like this? I can't really think of any reason I can't run my brakes like this. Thoughts?

[IMG][/IMG]
Are the bleed screws on the bottom or top of the caliper?
Old June 3rd, 2018, 09:20
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Are the bleed screws on the bottom or top of the caliper?
Bleed screws are on the bottom. I'll look into swapping caliper sides as I believe the screws need to be above the banjo bolt.

Last edited by bosco01xj; June 3rd, 2018 at 09:24.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 14:30
Member Number 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco01xj View Post
Bleed screws are on the bottom. I'll look into swapping caliper sides as I believe the screws need to be above the banjo bolt.
Yes they do..... Ask me how I know....
Old June 5th, 2018, 12:04
Member# 2368

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Sorry (Not sorry) I post Wrangler pics.

$10 Rustoleum paint does pretty good through a $16 Harbor Freight paint gun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old June 6th, 2018, 06:37
NAXJA Member

Looks good. That gives me some ideas for when I go to paint my xj.

Speaking of my XJ, I did get a little bit more done last night. I drilled out my u bolt plates to fit over the new spring nut. Then I bolted the axle to the springs and torqued down. I also swapped my calipers and pads and now the bleeder screw is above the banjo. I started running the brake lines and everything is lining up nicely. Next is to install shocks, connect extended line to hard line on frame, tighten fittings, throw on the wheels, torque and check all bolts, and add gear oil. Then I can start on the front.
Old June 11th, 2018, 09:17
Regular Joe

I was able to get my wipers fixed which is a big deal since it always rains in Harlan. I got the tags and hope to get the insurance back today.

I'm pretty stoked to drive it some back and forth to work now.
Old June 18th, 2018, 12:00
Regular Joe

Another good weekend. On Saturday, I was able to replace the rear shocks and a worn rear spring eye busing. I then took it for a ride to Sonic on Sunday. I drove it to work today (Monday).
Old June 18th, 2018, 12:06
Member Number 257

Spent Saturday at URE for a work day. CNC4X4 provided lunch. Ribs, slaw, chips, rolls, and tea to drink. Had a caliper hang on the rear. Sunday went to Summerville to see Deanna's mom and grandma.
Old June 21st, 2018, 20:38
Three-De Off-Road

After a month of sitting, the Commander is back and running. Finally found a good used Hemi out of a sideswiped Commander about 10 days ago. Believe it have about 15,000 miles less than the my Jeep. Once the engine got to the shop, they had it in and running in 2 days work (with a weekend in the middle of it all.)

She seems to run fine. I've put just under 100 miles on it in the last two days. A combination of in town and highway miles, with about 8 miles of towing.

It was not a cheap proposition to get this done, so I'm a little nervous about towing to Harlan, but I guess it can be done. I've got this irrational fear that as soon as I put some load on this engine it will blow up like the original one did!
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176--National Vice President, SEC President
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2006 XK (TOW RIG)
Old June 22nd, 2018, 07:02
Member Number 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
After a month of sitting, the Commander is back and running. Finally found a good used Hemi out of a sideswiped Commander about 10 days ago. Believe it have about 15,000 miles less than the my Jeep. Once the engine got to the shop, they had it in and running in 2 days work (with a weekend in the middle of it all.)

She seems to run fine. I've put just under 100 miles on it in the last two days. A combination of in town and highway miles, with about 8 miles of towing.

It was not a cheap proposition to get this done, so I'm a little nervous about towing to Harlan, but I guess it can be done. I've got this irrational fear that as soon as I put some load on this engine it will blow up like the original one did!
Those and all newer Chrysler/Mopar motors have a cam and timing issue from what I am reading. The oil changes from what I have read are very important. The also like to drop Valves.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 08:44
Three-De Off-Road

Yep, the valve dropped in the original motor. Nothing that I've heard of regarding cam or timing issues.

The valve issue was apparently resolved in the 2009 model year Hemi. It was a ChryCo issue across brands. I'm hearing that a lot of police departments had issues in the mid-00s with the Hemis in their Charger patrol cars.
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176--National Vice President, SEC President
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2006 XK (TOW RIG)
Old June 22nd, 2018, 10:03
Member Number 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
Yep, the valve dropped in the original motor. Nothing that I've heard of regarding cam or timing issues.

The valve issue was apparently resolved in the 2009 model year Hemi. It was a ChryCo issue across brands. I'm hearing that a lot of police departments had issues in the mid-00s with the Hemis in their Charger patrol cars.
Yes. I have seen or talked to several JK owners about the cam issues. Lenny has a couple hemi's in his shop he claims all have bad cams. IDK if you kow Lenny or not. To him everything is junk now days. Of course he isn't too far off IMHO!
Old June 23rd, 2018, 19:47
Member# 2368

The steering shaft was about to fall off of my truck. So I tightened it up.
Old June 24th, 2018, 11:29
NAXJA Member

I finally got the rear done. Top pic is how I routed the brake line. It was pre-cut and flared so did what I could do with it.

The shocks were a pain. The original owner had after market shocks installed with self tapping screws in small holes drilled right next to the broken original shock bolt. Because of this, I couldn't just tap out the broken bolt.

I used rear sway bar brackets as my bar pin eliminators and slightly relocated the shock mounting position.

I cut out 6 inch or so length 16 gauge sheet metal strips to hold my bolts so I could maneuver them into the recently drilled holes. This worked perfectly on the driver side. The passenger side went a little different due to trial and error. I welded the bolts into the sheet metal so I would not have to put a wrench on the top side.

Oh yea, I put my wheels back on thinking I could have it sitting on it's own weight... wrong. The 15 inch rims do not clear the calipers. This jeep aint' moving until I put new wheels and tires on. Anyway, pics below:

Old July 2nd, 2018, 07:48
Regular Joe

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I went to Ivy Bluff and scored some goodies for the Grand. Found a nice set of seats with manual bases, a couple transmission dip sticks and an OEM transmission cooler.

It was so hot on Saturday and the seats fought being removed. A captured bolt on each base broke loose. But we did get them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk