• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instead of a spark plug...

ChiXJeff

Curmudgeon
NAXJA Member
A laser may be used to ignite combustion in a cylinder.

http://www.laserfocusworld.com/disp...f-automotive-laser-ignition-research-with-For
http://www.liv.ac.uk/researchintelligence/issue36/laserignition.htm

July 20, 2009--Following collaborative work with Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) and GSI Group (Rugby, England), engineers at The University of Liverpool (England) have reported encouraging results in their quest for laser ignition (LI) in automobile engines. The approach offers the potential to address both increased fuel efficiency and reduced levels of harmful emissions. This month the team is embarking on the next phase of the research to develop LI systems for next-generation car engines based on efficient, downsized gasoline direct injection (GDI) technologies. The work is funded by the Carbon Trust, an independent company established by the UK government to accelerate the move to a low carbon economy.

Ignoring the political B.S...there are some intriguing aspects to a laser based ignition.

i think this is a very interesting idea. there are alot of quirky ideas coming about technology wise for engines these days. if you think about it aside from the addition of computer controlled fuel and ignition systems the basics of how an internal combustion engine operates hasn't really changed in the last 100 years. i love hearing about new ideas like this and would like to see where they go, thanks for the links Jeff.

kind of along this topic, a customer of mine is working on a computer controlled solenoid setup to replace the current valvetrain on a small block chevy engine. using solenoids to open and close the valves would allow the motor to rev up faster and higher than ever before without worring about valve float becase of springs and other components not being able to react fast enough... he has a working prototype but is still working on the programming for the solenoids, so he says... pretty interesting stuff if you ask me.

Pretty cool...Laser diodes are not exactly sturdy though, I'd be worried about longevity and reliability.

kind of along this topic, a customer of mine is working on a computer controlled solenoid setup to replace the current valvetrain on a small block chevy engine. using solenoids to open and close the valves would allow the motor to rev up faster and higher than ever before without worring about valve float becase of springs and other components not being able to react fast enough... he has a working prototype but is still working on the programming for the solenoids, so he says... pretty interesting stuff if you ask me.

i was hearing about this a few years ago, i think bmw or mercedes was working on it.

Pretty cool...Laser diodes are not exactly sturdy though, I'd be worried about longevity and reliability.
I'd be worried about this too, hopefully they can put a pretty hefty thermal/pressure shield between the laser and the cylinder... electrically they're pretty stable these days especially when run in pulse mode instead of constant output.

On the solenoid valve idea, has anyone tried something like ball valves yet? I imagine you could drive them entirely with a gear based system instead of cams, and no springs would be required. You could even make the valves all along a single rotating shaft by boring holes through it at the correct angles.

I think i saw something like this on that show "Trucks" on a tech feild trip to a diesle shop. I beleave that some of the new Diesels in the semis are running solinoid actuated valves moreso to aid in compression braking i think. food for thought

Back