• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ power steering pump rebuild

chickenbot

NAXJA Forum User
Who has done this? I just gone the pump and resivoir from pnp and before I pump it on my XJ I would like to rebuild it. I got lucky and found an oem pump off a V8 WJ.
I think this would be a better option the just crossing my fingers on a reman pump. In total I'm only sitting $30 in to the project and on rockauto I found a rebuild kit with a new bearing and orings for $20.

If you're talking about doing a seal/bearing replacement, it's relatively straight-forward. Be sure to have a very clean work area, and make sure to keep the vanes in their same slots in the rotor (not sure how critical this is but I'd imagine they're worn to the rotor housing and should be kept in their same spots/orientations). Take pictures of each step to be safe.

Disassembly:

1. Remove the bearing retainer circlip from the front face of the pump.
  2. Remove the shaft and bearing (from the front). Threading a bolt into the shaft may make this easier (mine slid right out), but if you encounter too much resistance, it may be easier to wait until after step 4 at which point you can gently tap the shaft out with a hammer from the rear. You may need a bearing splitter and press to remove the bearing from the shaft (mine felt like a mild press-fit).
  3. Flip the pump over and remove the snap ring retaining the housing back. You may need to apply some pressure to the housing back in order to pop the snap ring out. I put mine in an H-frame press and depressed it about 0.5mm (be very careful not to smash the thing if using a press).
  4. Holding the housing back in-place, flip the pump over and carefully drop it from the housing. The rotor and vanes will come out with it - you may want to secure the vanes with a rubber band to avoid any headaches.
  5. Remove the O-ring from the rear of the housing (the one that seals the housing back).
  6. Flip it back over and drop the rotor housing out.
  7. Replace the O-ring on the front edge of the rotor housing (if your kit has one).
  8. Replace the O-ring inside the little flared tube thing (seated inside the spring on the nose of the rotor housing).
  9. Remove the shaft seal from the front of the housing. I used a slide hammer with a pilot bearing attachment.
Reassembly:

1. Install the new shaft seal, metal side out.
  2. Reinstall the shaft with the new bearing, followed by the circlip.
  3. Reinstall the spring, rotor housing, rotor, etc., followed by the rear housing O-ring.
  4. Install the housing back, followed by the snap ring.
  5. ...install anything else I've failed to mention.
There may be a couple O-rings I'm forgetting about, but that's the general process. I can't for the life of me find a guide for it with pics, so it may be worth documenting the process for others as well.

Back