• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator light won't shut off.

pabloconrad

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Gang, I posted this in tech but no response. My alt light won't shut off even with the key out and ignition turned off. I have a new alternator to put on but don't want to burn it out if I developed a short in the system. Any sugeestions??? thanks fellow Coloradoan XJers.

what voltage are you getting at the batt while it's running. Also check it with a meter not just the gauge cause those can lie. If that is ok or even low try the new alt and see if the light goes out.

pabloconrad said:
Hey Gang, I posted this in tech but no response. My alt light won't shut off even with the key out and ignition turned off. I have a new alternator to put on but don't want to burn it out if I developed a short in the system. Any sugeestions??? thanks fellow Coloradoan XJers.

What year?
The depending on the year, the PCM took over the function of regulator and idiot light.
Yup, check the battery voltage, and the voltage across the field.
This will help track down the problem. Also, check the connections at the alternator, there are 4 IIRC; battery, 2 fields and a ground.

Not in CO, but listening anyway ;)

Back