• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper radiator hose...stupid question

Dvipercop

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I know the question(s) I'm about to ask are probably going to seem retarded, but here goes. I did try searching as well, but couldn't find a specific answer. I'm swapping out my old upper radiator hose with a new one. My question is this...will it hurt anything to just yank the old one off and put the new one on? Obviously alot of coolant is going to leak out in the process, but overall will this foul anything up?

No. Have something under there to catch the loose coolant, and just swap the hose.

When was the last time you did a flush? You're probably overdue (every two years!) and you'll want to do a flush, THEN replace the hoses.

Still, I'd go whole hawg and replace both hoses - if one is shot, the other one isn't far behind...

5-90

Word of warning, coolant soaked alternators have a tendancy to fail. The only alternators, I've ever had fail, were shortly after a coolant bath.

Thanks for the replies. I'll heed that warning as well and be sure to put something in place to block the escaping coolant.

Back