• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

27,824 miles on oil change

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just have to share...I own a little used car lot in Florida...sell pretty good cheap little get around cars... just repossesed at honda from a lady...only owed about $400 on the car but refused to pay it off...when I recovered the car it would barely run. I checked the oil (I mark all of the oil filters I put on cars).
The date on the oil filter is 6-22-02. She put 27,824 miles on the car and never changed the oil. Discount auto parts brand motor oil, for cheap oil that stuff works great. The previous record was 18,000 on a v-6 cutlass, it developed a rod knock and the person paying on the car demanded that I put a new motor in it for him since the motor had not lasted the length of the note. Some people just dont deserve a car. Had to share/rant. Thanks T.

I think, basic auto maintenance should be part of the drivers licensing test. A well maintained vehicle is a requirement for basic safety.

RR3

my wife thinks all a car needs is gas, if it will go it's OK.
i was working in a garage years ago aand more than once i had people bring cars in for repair, "runs rough or not at all and brakes are bad give them a price for repair. they said make it run don't fix the brakes.
:doh::dunno::scared:

A couple of months ago, I heard my mother-in-law's minivan running. Sounded like hell. Her oil pressure gauge was reading way low. It took 3 quarts of oil. It takes 4 1/2 quarts total. She told me she didn't check it because the gauge wasn't on empty yet. :doh:

RR3

MY step daughter was griping about her Celica GT not running well...I pulled the stick and it wouldn't register. about 1.5 qt oozed out when I drained it off. LOL also spotted where her industrious boyfriend had cut the tube between the airfilter and the TB

:D Morons...

I've got you ALL beat!!

My uncle used to work at a service station in Myrtle Beach. One day a guy pulls up in a ratty old slant-6 Duster which appeared to have one foot in the grave and the other precariously dangling over the edge of it. Smoke billowing out of the back of it,he paid it no mind. Kind of like it was supposed to be that way. The guy shuts it down (thankfully) and hops out,struts up to my uncle and asks him will he sell him some used motor oil,as he HAS to get to Florida! My uncle told the guy he wouldn't sell it to him,but he'd give him all he needed. This made the guy fairly happy. They went over to the car,he pops the hood,and my uncle almost falls over at the site! There was a hole in the side of the block big enough to stick three or four fingers through,! :scared: The best part was the big wad of aluminum foil he had stuffed in the hole to help slow down the oil loss :) The guy said it had slung a rod a while back,and the piston was still lodged in the block,so he had dropped the pan,removed the remnents of the rod and buttoned it back up! My uncle gave him some more oil and sent the guy on his way! I don't know if that's ingenuity,as far as doing what you ABSOLUTELY have to do,or just plain ol' stupid. Doesn't matter. Never saw the guy again anyway. :laugh:

We had a honda-smash at one of our Harley parties... someone donated an old CB350 that ran but was ratty as can be.

It started out as a buck a chance, and we logged down how long one thought it would run at WOT. Well it wouldn't die. (and to a Harley person, listening to a Honda twin at WOT for 15 minutes is worse than pulling 6 months in the county lockup.)

Finally someone payed enough $$ and we turned over the sledgehammer. One good whack to the cam-cover and it expired.

What fun

We ran a subaru brat WOT at my friends salvage yard when I was in college. First we boonie crashed it till we crashed in to a wrecked volvo. Note: Brats are well balanced and launch and land flat. Then we took a old axle shaft and jammed it wide open. Later we smashed the radiator to help it die. Cherry red exhaust manifolds after 5 minutes. After 10 min with no coolant wide open we took pity on it and took the axle shaft off the gas. It still idled great. Although when you revved it up sparks shot out the exhaust. Tough subaru.

People who dont know about cars are how I make my living. I dont wish any one bad luck and am proud that my cars last a long time. I dont know how some of them do it. I understand not knowing about cars, its a matter of economics. If you make enough money you dont have to know what makes it run. If you dont make enough money you should know what makes it run, cause you need to fix it your self. Most of the time your life doesnt depend on your car running. Atleast here in Florida. I have some german friends who were surprised that there seem to be no new cars in America with vinyl seats or flooring. It seems over there you buy cars based on what you can afford not what you wish you can afford. They were surprised about the gas station clerks with gold teeth and nail too. Its America.

I can't beat the guy with the hole in the block, but as for the record on no oil changes, I have a contender. In the late 80s I worked for a company that provided company cars for technical personnel who spent a lot of time out of the office. Boss liked Oldsmobiles and there was a dealer right down the street, so ALL the cars were Oldsmobiles from this dealer -- most were Cierras, although I held out for the one that was smaller so I could get a 5-speed. One of our field personnel was a young woman structural engineer. When she had been with us for two or three years, she accepted a job as town engineer in her home town and left the company. When she turned in her car keys, the boss sent the car to the dealership to be checked over before it was assigned to someone else.

Around noon we got a call from the service manager at the dealership.

"Hello, John?"

"Yes."

"This is Carmen from Ekblade. Uhm, John, I thought you had all the service done on your cars here."

"I do. Why?"

"Well, because that Cierra you just sent over to be checked out? Our records don't show that it was ever here for service."

Well, you guessed it, the lady never changed the oil, had anything lubed, or did anything other than buy gas and check the dipstick (or maybe she just waited for the idjit light to come on). She drove that poor car for 80,000 miles, and when they checked under the hood they found it still had the original factory oil filter on it.

Eagle said:
.... and when they checked under the hood they found it still had the original factory oil filter on it.

Whats an oil filter? :confused:

I had one of those Dusters with the slant 6. It faithfully consumed a quart of oil every 1000 miles in the latter stages of its 18 year life.
Sold it to a guy in 1992 for $500 who was fully informed about its oil appetite, but chose not to feed it. Maybe that was him on the way to Floriday?
Probably not, it's Baby, Powder Blue paint job still shone like the day it drove off the showroom (probably the most durable paint job I've ever seen on a vehicle).

2offroad said:
my wife thinks all a car needs is gas, if it will go it's OK.
i was working in a garage years ago aand more than once i had people bring cars in for repair, "runs rough or not at all and brakes are bad give them a price for repair. they said make it run don't fix the brakes.
:doh::dunno::scared:

Gee sounds like my mother, and girlfriend too. My dad just gives me the eyes in the back of the head look when either of them start talking vehicles.

Ive got a good one, I dunno how long it was since these people had an oil change in thier 87 s10 blazer but they complained that it was leeking oil, and sure enough I check it out and the oil filter had actually rusted and rotted so much that oil was leeking out of it.

Had a call one morning from a regular -- her VW rabbit (I did mention, regular right?) wouldn't stay running. Had to tow it. Got it to the shop - noticed that the filter wasn't ours (she'd been 2-timing)...

... No starts were at the high-end of the riority list and I was busy so it went to a buddy about 3-bays off... I see him running the usualy crank, fuel, ignition stuff and occaisionaly hear that lil'VW kick for a bit before flaming-out... Compression was doing well, fuel and spark all seemed good, etc...

Finally the guy comes over to talk about the car (since I saw it most recently and more often) - nothing came to mind, but being a VW I remember the owner having siezed it once because "the EGR light was on again" (except that time it was the oil light), so I'd always asked, kinda as a joke, to be sure that they'd checked their oil...

This goes on, I got suckered ito about 30-minutes of "wonder what" with this guy till we finiallythought to check the dipstick (never know what you'll find) --

it was full - really. Apparently the owner was so afraid of a new motor that she got in the habit of adding a quart every now and then -- She must'a been really nervous cause it was just palin full -- we dropped the oil into a catch so I couldn't measure total volume, but after draining and filling to the correct level - the thing puffed and ran fine...

To this day, I'll bet that there was enough oil in that to have standing oil under the valve cover...

I have one similar to that too. My cousin, with the help of another cousin, changed the oil in his 85 Mustang 4Cyl. He asked his dad how much oil he should put back in after draining it. His dad told him to fill it until it shows full on the dipstick. He did not know what or where the "dipstick" was (and had too much pride to ask, he's not the brightest bulb in the tree if you know what I mean) and filled it until he could see the level inside the valve cover. That engine held (BARELY!!) 11 qts of oil. we called him smokescreen for quite a while after that episode. He drained the oil down to the right level and the car ran fine for another few years.

A.

I was at the Jeep dealer 1 day and they had a grand cherokee with 40k with the factory filter on it. It spun all the berings.

My first car (66 Dart) had a slant six, my dad gave it to me when I joined the Coast Guard and went to the east coast in 1975, it had 97K miles I gave it back in 1978 after putting on an additional 125K miles and he drove it until he retired in 1989. Great car, couldn't keep it in brakes or starters, but couldn't kill it either.

When I was down on my luck I used engine oil out of my wifes p/u for my old beater (66 Malibu), it ran fine for tens of thousands of miles, can't remember if I ever changed the filter.

Now, the oil gets changed in the XJ faithfully whenever the rockers rattle ;-) or three thousand miles whichever occurs first.

Back