• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping an engine over to other body

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, so how big of a headache will I be looking for? I am planning to have my 98xj drivetrain out of the totalled rig and will want to swap it over to something else. I like the newer comp with the codes so I'd like to retain the computer BUT I do not want to spend a year on redoing the wiring.... so am I stuck looking at 96+ or will other years be just as easy or some easier then the others? I know that I probably want to get something that had a i6 in it so that the mountint points and engine bay will be all setup for it without too much extra work. Is there anything that I'm forgeting? Anything I should be looking for?

THanks
Kejtar

Last Oct. in Moab there was a guy that swapped the entire interior of a 97+ into the previous body style. He said it all bolts in the same way. Was kind of weird to see the newer dash in the old body style. That's what I'd do if I couldn't find a decent 97+ shell. The wiring won't be difficult at all if you do this because most things will just plug back in the way it came out, you won't have to cut much especially if you are using most of your drivetrain. You've got the advantage of having the entire donor vehicle to get parts if needed.

ACE said:
Last Oct. in Moab there was a guy that swapped the entire interior of a 97+ into the previous body style. He said it all bolts in the same way. Was kind of weird to see the newer dash in the old body style. That's what I'd do if I couldn't find a decent 97+ shell. The wiring won't be difficult at all if you do this because most things will just plug back in the way it came out, you won't have to cut much especially if you are using most of your drivetrain. You've got the advantage of having the entire donor vehicle to get parts if needed.

OK, I wonder how much of the wiring stays same. I'd also like to retain the airbags so that probably means newer body. Damn... I just need to win the lottery and get a '00 or '01 and swap my axles and suspension over

Why do you want to keep the airbags? Yes they are good and safe... but in all honesty, don't you think it would be worth it for the 1st generation body?

JMO, matt

Scrappy said:
Why do you want to keep the airbags? Yes they are good and safe... but in all honesty, don't you think it would be worth it for the 1st generation body?

JMO, matt
What is my benefit when it comes to the first generation body? The only one i can think of is that I would be able then to use Farmer Matts taillights :D. Otherwise then that I end up with a fiberglass hatch which with my track record to that corner would mean I'd be buying a new hatch every time I went wheelig (for some reason on the last 4 trips out I nailed the hatch pretty hard on the side each time).

Kejtar said:
What is my benefit when it comes to the first generation body? The only one i can think of is that I would be able then to use Farmer Matts taillights :D. Otherwise then that I end up with a fiberglass hatch which with my track record to that corner would mean I'd be buying a new hatch every time I went wheelig (for some reason on the last 4 trips out I nailed the hatch pretty hard on the side each time).

As far as nailing the hatch every time: "Seat time will fix that" as Jes would say.

-Mike

Lots of advantages! How much could you find a 97+ for, honestly. Then think about how much you could get a 87+ for. You would end up spending less to get wheeling again. Yes, more time into swaping wiring, and things. Also consider parts availability. I am not sure, but I would think that 97+ parts are more expensive. Could be wrong, but o'well. Oh the hatch thing...If you lifted it, then you would hit the tail lights... and you already know how you could fix that problem! :farmer:

Matt

Scrappy said:
Lots of advantages! How much could you find a 97+ for, honestly. Then think about how much you could get a 87+ for. You would end up spending less to get wheeling again. Yes, more time into swaping wiring, and things. Also consider parts availability. I am not sure, but I would think that 97+ parts are more expensive. Could be wrong, but o'well. Oh the hatch thing...If you lifted it, then you would hit the tail lights... and you already know how you could fix that problem! :farmer:

Matt
Yeah there is the parts thing.. I found an 89 with a motor leaking like a sieve for $500! I want my check from the ins company now as I got till end of September to swap stuff over if I am to go to Moab! And my school (Masters in CS) starting back at the end of August and that will take a LOT of my time.

Kejtar said:
OK, I wonder how much of the wiring stays same. I'd also like to retain the airbags so that probably means newer body. Damn... I just need to win the lottery and get a '00 or '01 and swap my axles and suspension over

The airbags are part of the steering column and the dashboard, so wouldn't you want to swap them in with the rest of the interior if you are going to try that? Or, look for a high mileage stripped down '97, you should be able to get one for less than $5k.

Lawn Cher' said:
The airbags are part of the steering column and the dashboard, so wouldn't you want to swap them in with the rest of the interior if you are going to try that? Or, look for a high mileage stripped down '97, you should be able to get one for less than $5k.

My problem is that I'm trying to decide how I want to split up the $$. I don't know what they're going to pay me, but I need to figure out what I want to get in order to get close to that number. From one perspective I'd love to have another 98 with all the bells and whistles like mine was so that I don't have to swap over as much (keyless entry and so on) On the other hand if I was to get a cheap beater ($500 to $1k) I would have extra money for roll cage and such and still have some left over (maybe?). I also know what some say about airbags but I plan to drive my rig to trails so I'd like to have a bit of that protection during an accident (and since I didn't hit the guardrail they didn't deploy during the rollover) should someone decide to hit me. Damn I just wish my insurance company paid me already so that I could start on the new jeep!

Well, you can spend it and save time, or save $$ and use more time swapping the interior. Do you have the space to have two chassis sitting? Are there friends in your area willing to help? Are you sure (beyond the hearsay) that the interior will swap over without too much trouble? What is your time worth? Weigh the options, and consider the tradeoffs, just like any other major purchase.

If it were me, I'd find a compromise somewhere in the middle by finding a 4-cyl 2wd '97 SE, that way you have the body style and most of the interior already there, and you can transfer the running gear from the wreck, and the bells and whistles as time allows. That way you can use the time you would otherwise spend on swapping interiors to reinforce the chassis, put in a cage, etc. and hopefully have it operational, if not finished, for Moab.

Last edited:
Lawn Cher' said:
Well, you can spend it and save time, or save $$ and use more time swapping the interior. Do you have the space to have two chassis sitting? Are there friends in your area willing to help? Are you sure (beyond the hearsay) that the interior will swap over without too much trouble? What is your time worth? Weigh the options, and consider the tradeoffs, just like any other major purchase.

Yeah that's why I got a splitting headache since Monday (it's indirectly accident induced so I wonder if I can claim it during hte settlement). I kno that the seats will swap over and I like my seats plus they're in a great condition. The rear bench was going to go and get replaced by two buckets (which I have) so that's not a big deal either. I might dump the carpet and herculine it and then cover it with something on top, not sure about it yet. But...... the console and the dash is what I'd like to retain and I'm afraid it might be too much work :( So that takes me back to the original problem: what to do..... I wish I could take the insurance money and fix this one up, but I think the front of it is tweaked as well as the rest of the unibody as those were HARD hits on 3 corners. It also looks like the front is slightly bent over to the side. Hopefully after all this is done I will have enough $$ to put internal and external cage :D

Btw I already had people offer help so that should make the process easier :D

The more I think about it, the more i think my suggestion is the best plan.
Get on ebay and look for a cheapo late model XJ, maybe a former fleet or government vehicle with a decent body. Even if you don't purchase right away, you'll have an idea of what it will run you when you do get your payout, and can plan accordingly. You should at least have a rough estimate of what that number will be.

Back