• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Question

Brian93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
The 242 in my 93 XJ blew up this weekend and I found one out of a 88 XJ to replace it. I was figuring I could order a fixed output for the rear and a new chain for it and it would be good as new. The only thing I am worried about is whether or not the speedometer pickup is the same on both of them? Does anyone know whether it will be compatible or not? Or if I should find a different plan for about the same amount of money?

sorry i don't actually have an answer for you.. theres one more thing to look at for the swap though.. at some point the t/case input spline count changed somewhere around 94 i thik... so newer and older are not direct swaps.. this may or may not affect you.. do some searching in the archives and i know it's in there..
mike

you can swap the input gears between the two cases, but you need a #1 easy out to remove the roll pin that holds the low-range shift fork on to the rod inside the case, there's a rubber plug on the case near the mode selector lever that you can remove to access the roll pin.

yes it's a PITA, but it's possible.

oh, and the electronic speedo pickup will bolt right in place of the mechanical one and work just the same ;)

CheapXJ said:
you can swap the input gears between the two cases, but you need a #1 easy out to remove the roll pin that holds the low-range shift fork on to the rod inside the case, there's a rubber plug on the case near the mode selector lever that you can remove to access the roll pin.

yes it's a PITA, but it's possible.

oh, and the electronic speedo pickup will bolt right in place of the mechanical one and work just the same ;)

Is a #1 easy out a tool? I haven't ever heard of it. And have you done this before? Any pointers you might have?

Brian93XJ said:
Is a #1 easy out a tool? I haven't ever heard of it. And have you done this before? Any pointers you might have?

yes, that's a tool, it's for removing broken screws and such, #1 is the size.

get yourself a good set of snap ring pliers and make DAMN sure that yout have every snap ring back where it needs to be before you put the case halves back together.

a service manual would be very helpful too.

Back