• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

White Rim Trail Overnight October 3, 2016

SandySteve

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I am going to try to get a campsite on the White Rim Trail for October 3, 2016, either White Crack or Candelstick or whatever is available. According to the new NPS rules, these cannot be requested before June 3rd (4 months). Two more vehicles can accompany me so post up if you are interested. This will be before the Fall Fling actually starts, and I may have to move the overnight to October 4th. The competition is high for this trail at this time. OLD MAN, interested? Anyone else? Let me know so I can plan and try to wrangle this one--Sandy Steve

Definitely interested.

The best choice I had at 12:00.01 AM was Potato Bottom for an overnight campsight. All of the half-way sites were already booked according to the National Park Service website. I cry "foul", but what can we do? So, Tom I have a reservation for 3 vehicles to do the White Rim Trail beginning October 3, 2016. We have a campsite at Potato Bottom which is about 3/4 of the way around if you start at the Shaeffer Trail. Anyone else want to be the third vehicle? Post up.

The best choice I had at 12:00.01 AM was Potato Bottom for an overnight campsight. All of the half-way sites were already booked according to the National Park Service website. I cry "foul", but what can we do? So, Tom I have a reservation for 3 vehicles to do the White Rim Trail beginning October 3, 2016. We have a campsite at Potato Bottom which is about 3/4 of the way around if you start at the Shaeffer Trail. Anyone else want to be the third vehicle? Post up.

Let me know and I will pony up some $$$ for the site. I'm looking forward to this. I wonder if they would let me pull my offroad teardrop trailer?

:party:I have the reservation, and when they confirm it I will contact them and ask about the trailer. I did see a guy with a river-running boat on a trailer on the White Rim Trail the last time I was on it, but that was almost 20 years ago. The rules may have changed. As far as money, it's only $30 total. I won't worry about it one way or the other. We can discuss logistics later, but you said you want to take a bunch of photographs, so I recommend getting an early start on the 3rd, as the best light for pictures is before 10:00 AM and in the evening.

:party:I have the reservation, and when they confirm it I will contact them and ask about the trailer. I did see a guy with a river-running boat on a trailer on the White Rim Trail the last time I was on it, but that was almost 20 years ago. The rules may have changed. As far as money, it's only $30 total. I won't worry about it one way or the other. We can discuss logistics later, but you said you want to take a bunch of photographs, so I recommend getting an early start on the 3rd, as the best light for pictures is before 10:00 AM and in the evening.

Roger that. My wife and I were professional photographers for years.

Any body else interested?

Would either one of you like to take on a support vehicle role while I ride along on the MTB?

This should be possible. MTB's (I assume mountain bikes) are swarming the trail at this time of the year. You will certainly be able to travel faster than the XJ's if we are stopping to take photos. We could throw whatever equipment in our vehicle for the camping at Potato Bottom so you don't have to overload the bike.

We now have our limit on vehicles (three). I cannot accommodate any more XJ's etc. but am still willing to be the support vehicle for a mountain bike. We all must start together on October 3, and Tom wants to take a bunch of pics so we should try to start early. I'll find out when the rangers are available to check us in and will let you know. Looking forward to it. Steve

Yes mountain bike, and yeah I'm not set up for bike-packing yet so if you could take on a little of my back packing gear, shoe box of bike tools, etc. I'd likely stop for photos once in a while as well depending on the light. You'll pass me on the big climbs I'm sure. Are you thinking of traveling clockwise or counter clockwise?

Most run the trail clockwise.

Well I'll be in town on the 1st of October so if you still have a spot I might be up for it (though it won't be my XJ).

So let me double check. This is on for an overnight on the 3rd? Leaving at the butt crack of dawn? Getting done on the 4th?

I need to schedule my time off. That next Friday I have my knee operated on.

Tom Houston
970-391-8927

Tom, you are correct that the overnight is on October 3. That is the reservation and I was fortunate to get that one. As far as the butt crack of dawn, that was just a suggestion since you wanted to do a "buttload" of photographing. I am open for a later meeting time. We have Potato Bottom as a campsite (on October 3) and we are supposed to be out sometime on the 4th. Hope this helps and hope your knee surgery goes well. A close friend and avid skier just had his second one done when he was not even done with the rehab for the first one. Still in pain, but at 70 years he still wants to ski. BTW, my cell is 8oh1-243-5one149. Just in case we need to iron out details after you get the time off arranged.

You have no idea. I used to specialize in sunrise shots. The best pix are very early and nearly sunset.

Back